Help! Alienware M17x R2 Edition or Dell XPS? Which to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen43

Beta member
am currently looking into buying a new laptop. My whole goal in buying this laptop is to be able to run Starcraft II on Ultra settings. Now, I really want the Alienware, I have wanted an Alienware forever and I just don't feel there is any better looking laptop out there. The Alienware is obviously not as good where the processor is concerned, but I am not sure in the graphics card(s) area. I am okay with taking a small hit on performance if it means the Alienware.

Alienware M17x Specifications:

Intel Core 2 Q9000 Quad Core Processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
Dual 1GB (2GB total) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M in SLI Configuration

Dell XPS Specifications:

Intel i7-840 Quad Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M (3GB Total, dual 1.5GB cards I believe, NOT in SLI configuration)
8GB DDR3 RAM

Both have plenty of hard drive space, both have the same quality screen (1440x900 900p), both have 1333MHz RAM, both have Windows 7 Premium, everything but the processor and the graphics cards are the same.

Now again, I know that the XPS is better processor wise, but I don't know where the GPU is concerned. I would much rather own the Alienware.

I guess my real question is, Will there be any significant difference between the two or only a slightly noticable one? If it is the latter, I will be buying the Alienware despite the small hit in performance, and will they both be able to run Starcraft II on Ultra?

The two laptops are NEARLY IDENTICAL IN PRICE.

Thanks!

Do me a favor. Don't get an Alienware. Above the M11X, they are overpriced, totally. I am not sure about the XPS lines, but the CPU is newer.

On first glance, the Alienware has a much better graphics card. Usually when there is an 'X' after the GT is quite a big deal. Im actually surprised you can still get an core duo on an m17x. I thought the minimum they ship it with is i5. Tbh, I understand your desire for an alienware, so if you can get it with the i5 processor ( should not be that much more expensive ) it should allow you to run sc2 at max ( Its usually the GPU that matters most )

I played SC2 on a C2Q 6600 before I got this i5 760. It played just fine.

I was playing on a Nvidia 8800gts g80 before I got this HD5770. A nice jump from high to ultimate.

"Do me a favor. Don't get an Alienware. Above the M11X, they are overpriced, totally. I am not sure about the XPS lines, but the CPU is newer."

Again, the two laptops are nearly identical in price. Price is NOT an issue, just between these two, which would you get, disregarding price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom