Build for home PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfish

Intelligent Metalhead
Okay guys, it's time to build a computer for my home PC. My dad finally gave the word, so I'm trying to make the best offer possible. He hasn't specified a max price, but he probably won't want to spend much more than $800 at all, preferable as low as possible. I have a case and power supply, and prefer Newegg. Here's what I think:
2X Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD8000AARS 800GB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive in RAID 1
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader w/ 3 ports USB2.0 Hub / eSATA port / Extra silver face plate / SATA Power
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - MSI N450GTS-M2D1GD5/OC GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Newegg.com - Corsair Force F40 CSSD-F40GB2 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student 3-User
comes out to $840 or so. I know, not too many combo deals right now.
This will not be used for gaming, but my brothers and parents in general aren't the most optimal PC users (a billion open windows, doing fifty things at once, etc.). The only thing that dad asked for is for it to be FAST, so I tossed in that SSD.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'd really like to see something similar for under $800, or even better, under $700.

Edit: whoops- I think I left out the RAM. That costs an additional $50 for ddr3 1600. I think I'd get rid of the second HDD because it doesn't fit in budget.

How big a difference would we see if we swapped in this mobo and cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.564797
I'd still get 50 buck ddr3 ram, but I think it downgrades to ddr2.
Making this swap would save a large chunk of cash.

Awesome.
If you want to know, the case is a Cooler Master Elite 310 mid tower that my own desktop used to be in. The power supply is the cheap 450W thing that came with it. I know, it's cheap, but this is a budget build and I have it. It meets the minimum requirements of the 4850 and it should work fine.

Even for simple tasks like opening a program, your HDD is going to be the largest bottleneck by far. IMO makes sense to get an SSD

Uh... I capitalized the FAST part for a reason. We're talking about four impatient small children here who will break windows until it loads... and trust me, I'll do all the drive partitioning and setup. For this particular purpose an SSD is very important. I even considered downgrading the CPU to a x2 and hoping it would unlock just so I could afford to squeeze in an SSD.
oh, and the HDD is a 1TB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom