Novice OCer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
I have an i5 760, ASUS P7P55D-E LX.

It is at a cool temperature of ~30C. I wanted to break it in, make sure there were no problems.

So, I'm ready to OC. I haven't done this in awhile. I did it on my 775 C2Q 6600, maybe 2 years ago? But I'm shady on how to actually do it. I do know all precautions, don't OC too fast, take it slow.

I found pictures of The BIOS on my board. Might be an earlier version, but pretty much the same.
ASUS_P7P55D-E_Pro_Motherboard_BIOS_Page1.jpg

ASUS_P7P55D-E_Pro_Motherboard_BIOS_Page2.jpg

I don't exactly know how much to raise each section.

Anything else you need, ask! ;)

I'm more into the fast-track. Try these setting and lets see what happens. Write down any errors or STOP code messages you may get. Post a HWMonitor and CPUID screenies.

Set the:

Ai Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner to - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - 20
Intel Speedstep - Disabled
Intel Turbo Mode - Disabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 200
DRAM Frequency - 1066
QPI Frequency - Auto
DRAM Timing Control - Set these to latencies specified by the Manufacturer
CPU Differential Amplitude - not sure, I think the higher the value, the smoother or cleaner the voltage signal will be. I would leave at Auto for now

CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Voltage Mode - Fixed Voltage - 1.325 (this may need to go up but we really want it around the 1.30 - 1.325 range)

IMC Voltage - 1.3v (This is the Internal Memory Controller Voltage, because your using 8GB's and I'm assuming you have a 4x2GB setup, you'll probably need to set this higher than a 2x2GB setup. I would try 1.3v and maybe we can lower it.)

CPU PLL - Auto (we'll raise this if we have errors and adjusting the CPU volts has no effect)

PCH Voltage - Auto (Southbridge Voltage)
Load Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

Advanced
CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio Setting - 20
C1E Support - Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher - Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher - Enabled
Max CPUID - Disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech - Unless your using a program like Virtual PC you can Disable this.
CPU TM Function - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Enabled
Intel HT Technology - Enabled
Active Processor Cores - All
A20M - Disabled
Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled
Intel Turbo Mode Tech - Disabled
Intel C-State Tech - Disabled

WOW Slay.... :D

cpuoc1.png

Added CoreTemp in there as well, always run it on the desktop.

But 4Ghz! Wow... Last time I saw that big of a boost was with my E2140...

THANK YOU SLAY!!

No problems yet. Should I do a Linx stress test on this?

Yes. I would stop the run if your temps hits 80C. If it passes we want to start lowering the voltages. I would like to see the cpu voltage around 1.3v, 1.30625v or 1.3125v maximum (in the bios) but it will depend on how good your heatsink works with the heat applied.

I'd also like to see the IMC voltage come down to 1.1v to 1.2v

Try lowering only one voltage at a time

Hate to be the killjoy here... but why not just buy hardware that meets the specs you want already? It runs just as fast and saves you hassle of shortening the life of your hardware... just sayin. Maybe I'm missing something here... Thats just me though.

Because you can't buy 4GHz CPUs. And besides, shaving a couple of years off a 10+ year lifespan doesn't really make all that much difference, since most of us techie types will have upgraded long before it becomes an issue. Also, it's a fun thing to do, and it's getting extra performance for free. For more, just Google 'advantages overclocking cpu' or something like that.

Edit: Don't anyone be snarky and point out that 4Ghz Pentium 4 :p

Slay: The temps are around 36C now that it had run rested for awhile now.
The CPU voltage is the "CPU Voltage Mode", correct? IMC voltage I got.
I'll see what I can do. I always liked Xigmatek H/S, they work well with heat.

Pro2a: There is no i5 nor i7 that comes with 4Ghz at stock. As long as it is a safe OC, you are not really damaging it in any way. I had my E2140 OCed 95%, did that In '07. Still works today, on my dad's PC. CPU's do not come pre-clocked.

(too fast, Yami...)

Hehe

OK. Slay. My OC is set with CPU 1.30625v, IMC 1.16v. Any lower, and I get errors in Linx or a BSOD with 0x0124. I think that is my barrier. My temps are around 68C MAX with Linx. A long way from 80C. ;) Otherwise around the mid to higher 30s. Think this about the closest I can get.

While we're on the same subject, you know how to quicken my RAM timings? Theyre currently at 8 8 8 22. Yeah, that is 4x 2GB.

This literally made me choke laughing so hard.:suprised:

Slay, you're nuts! A perfect 4ghz in one swoop?

I can't wait to clock my new build. :)

Pro2a: The main thing about OCing is you get more power for less money.

1000 posts! Party time! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom