First time build, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJamesJR

In Runtime
I just made plans to build my own custom PC. I've never done it before, and I'm not very hardware savvy as far as computers go. However, I have been doing some research these past couple of nights and have compiled a "shopping list". It is as follows...

943PK mATX mini tower w/ 500w PS.

3x3 XDW Case Fan

Hard Drive cooler

Samsung TS-H492 optical drive

Biostar A780L3L AMD 760G Socket AM3 mATX Motherboard w/DVI, Video, Audio, LAN & RAID

AMD Athlon II X4 3GHz Processor w/ factory cooling fan

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4gb) DDR3 1333

This is basically everything. I don't know if I'm missing anything... Anyways, I had a few concerns. The motherboard for starters. Is it any good? The HDD, is this a reliable quality manufacturer, and will I get long life out of it? Also due to the fact it's a mini case, will I have heating issues? Should I look into a few more fans? As of now I plan on running the integrated graphics accelerator, however I do plan to upgrade it in the future. And thoughts or suggestions?

Note: I'm am posting this in the "Advanced" thread because I wanted a little more performance out of this machine then the norm, though I'm obviously on a budget...

case and power supply is crap

wow that case fan is crap

lol you dont need a hard drive cooler

optic drive is good

mother board is garbage

processor is slow

hdd is good

you dont need 8 gigs of ram, 4 is enough...

you didnt list a graphics card.

ill be honest, thats a pretty bad build, i dont mean to bash on you, thats just the way it is. but dont fret, i got you. what is your budget and what are you going to be using this computer for?

we will put together a build list that will smash on this for about the same price... and by we, i mean muffin man or trotter...

My budget is around $400.00 (or less) Monitor/Accessories/OP System not included. I will be using this machine for Photo editing, Gaming, Web surfing, Movies....

I did some more digging on Newegg and came up with this...

Case
Optical Drive
HDD (though I'd like to aim for 1TB)
Motherboard
Memory
CPU
Case Fan

I prefer the mini cases because I'm limited in workspace. I don't really know what CPU's are up to date... I though x4 were good, and I prefer AMD's. I will settle for 4GB RAM though I'd like the option to upgrade.

Sorry, I really am trying here lol... Epic fail.

Why does it take so long for my replies to come through???

Since you included links and are a new member, your posts were automatically moderated and had to be approved before they were visible. This is so we can catch spammers. The PM you received when you signed up should have said something about this.

Okay, a new setup. A bit over my budget range but I figure I can buy them piece by piece...

MOBO
CPU
HDD
Optical
Memory
Case

I've heard some bad things on the case, but I like the style/look and size. Plus, it comes with a built in power supply which alone can cost more than the entire thing. I'll run off the MOBOs graphics until upgrading to better card.

I like this setup. Affordable, and more reliable than those crummy store bought brands. What I like most is the option to upgrade with that motherboard... Which I will probably be doing early on down the road, which is why I was looking for an affordable system now. I was able to find just a 4GB DDR3 stick for $4 more, would this be an appropriate buy vrs the x2 2GB?

Last question; what do you think about This case? I can combo with Windows 7, and comes with built in power supply which saves me $50 bucks...Only one fan though which I can add another later.

4gb (2x2gb) would be better as they would run in dual channel compared to 4gb (single 4gb stick) which would run in single channel. if you really think you need more ram, you can add another 2x2gb (4gb) or 2x4gb (8gb) kit later on for a total of 8 or 12gigs of ram, which would already be alot. but you won't need the board's max supported of 16gigs, that's just a waste of money.

with the case, i pretty much specifically tried to make a build with a cheaper case that didn't already come with a psu, to fit in a separate psu that was good. with an exception to some antec and cooler master cases, almost any other case that comes with a psu is a piece of crap (the psu, not the case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom