First build, first power up...need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3daywkend

Beta member
I was hoping this would go off without a hitch but don't we all. Anyways here is a list of hardware I slapped together of the last few days...
Antec 900 case
MSI 870A-G54 Mobo
Antec 650w power supply
Deskstar 1TB internal HD
LiteOn internal DVD drive
AMD Phenom Dual Core CPU
Radeon HD 5670 graphics card
Corsair membory cards 2*2 Gb

The powerup showed that the fans run, and cpu and graphics card fans as well. There is nothing on the monitor, and the DVD player only opens when the data cable (39 pins?) isn't hooked up. Any advice on things to check and look for? Also, what exactly should I be seeing on the monitor in the absence of a OS? Thanks, I appreciate any responses. -Tom

Replying to myself here. I wouldn't think I'd get any video with just physical install of the graphics card. Doesn't it need a driver? It's seems like a chicken-or-egg scenario with regards to the OS and drivers. This noob needs some very fundamental info.

The mobo says SATA. Should the monitor show something when you power up a new build (without OS)?
Thanks,
-Tom

Yeah, it should show details of all your devices. As BIOS version, RAM, HDDs, etc.

Should look something like this:
post.jpg

Or a splash screen like:
dell-bios.jpg

If you see nothing onscreen something doesn't match up. Make sure all power cords are in, 24-pin, 4/8 pin, 6-pin video.

Best to do is start out with bare essentials, Motherboard/CPU, PSU, and one stick of RAM.

Thanks. I tried unplugging the fans and using one stick of ram, but nothing changes. FYI, the MB has two lights on, shouldn't it have 4? O'well, I can always take it in if nothing else.
-Tom

Uh,, fans won't do anything. Motherboard has 2 lights? A motherboard usually has one light to notify power is connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom