Expensive build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Magician

Beta member
Hi all

I want to get a high end gaming computer and ALMOST bought an alienware system. I didnt in the end and instead decided to build my first computer! I am a new to this so please bare with me...

I have been researching components and think the below system will be pretty good. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S

Computer cost = £1,000 / $1,550
Monitor cost = £215 / $330
TOTAL COST = £1,215 / $1,880

Motherboard: Asus Rampage III (scan.co.uk link)
CPU: Intel CPU i7 930 Quad Core (scan.co.uk link)
CPU cooler: Prolimatech Intel Copper CPU Cooler (scan.co.uk link)
Fan for cooler: Coolermaster SickleFLow Red LED Quiet Case Fan 120mm (scan.co.uk link)
Memory: 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair (scan.co.uk link)
Graphics card: Geforce GTX470 (scan.co.uk link)
PSU: Antec HCG-750 High Current Gamer 750W (scan.co.uk link)
Optical Drive: Sony DVD ROM DDU1681S-0B (scan.co.uk link)
Hard disk drive: 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 (scan.co.uk link)
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 (scan.co.uk link)
Monitor: LG W2486L 24-inch Wide LED LCD TFT Monitor (amazon.co.uk link)

Nice build, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, watchout, Asus boards are sometimes encountering ram issues... Some are only seeing 4Gigs, and also I've read they can be very picky about the kind.

Double check its on their list.

Don't know much about the cooler, but the rest looks okay.
This set of ram Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz CAS 8 Triple Channel Desktop - TR3X6G1600C8 has better timings but are a bit more pricey.

I'll let someone else triple check it though.

Firstly, watchout, Asus boards are sometimes encountering ram issues... Some are only seeing 4Gigs, and also I've read they can be very picky about the kind.

Double check its on their list.

I'm on my fifth gaming computer using Asus motherboards and I would certainly advise you to check the QVL on the Asus website before purchasing ram. Picky indeed.

You could probably save a little money and not get a quad core processor. I dont believe games take advantage of quad core yet.

Technically hes getting an 8 core setup.

Games are actually starting to become multi-threaded and so any quad is desirable... the i7 1366s are the cats meow of chips, and hopefully they will retain some futureness to them.

The new sandy bridges are using 1366 so thats a good thing.

Well it seems like you're willing to spend the money to get a really nice build. I just recently built myself a computer and it was expensive also. I was lucky enough to get a little extra money so I went ahead and spent the extra money on my new computer. One thing I'd consider adding although it can be pricey is an SSD. I had never had an SSD before this computer and I must say it is pretty awesome to have one. I got a larger one so I can keep my Operating System (Windows), Programs, and Games all on it. Although you could get one that is smaller and just keep the operating system on it. That is what a lot of people choose to do. It just makes the OS much faster than it would be on a normal HDD.

Anyways I am still a pretty much a new person to building computers so the experts can better advise you. Maybe they can give you a little more information on an SSD.

Good luck with the build!

Guys thanks for the feedback I found it extremely useful and have made the folliwng revisions.

patonb & J9Darkwing,

I fully take on board your comments about my choice of RAM, it turns out I had an incompatible sort in the spec. The new RAM below is fully compatible with the motherboard and I believe it is good kit as well, patonb I believe the RAM you suggested was incompatible please correct me if I am wrong about that. Also the CPU cooler is a very good one according to reviews...

zandre88,

I accept a SSD would indeed be cool but I dont want to blow the bank too much in one swoop! I may consider this as an upgrade later although I suspect once the system is built and running I will find the HDD more than satisfactory.

Could you guys have another look at the new spec? Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated and considered.

Thanks

S

Computer cost = £1,045 (or $1,630)
Monitor cost = £210 (or $330)
Total cost = £1,255 (or $1,960)

Technically hes getting an 8 core setup.

Games are actually starting to become multi-threaded and so any quad is desirable... the i7 1366s are the cats meow of chips, and hopefully they will retain some futureness to them.

The new sandy bridges are using 1366 so thats a good thing.

I thought Sandy Bridges was supposed to be 1155 socket.

^You seem to be right, I, for some reason, thought they were coming out as 1366..... but it seems that if you don't read fully, you get bad info.

I think itrs how they word it as the successor to the i7s, as it'll be the same performance as 1366.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom