Upgrading CPU on Toshiba Satellite A505, not sure on FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
I have the Toshiba Satellite A505-6970 and would like to upgrade the CPU from T6500 to P8700 Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 Penryn 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache Socket P 25W Dual-Core Mobile Processor Model BX80577P8700

My issue is that I do not know if the motherboard in this thing supports a 1066 FSB. I can't pull any good information on the board used from my own machine, not even with Everest. Everest shows:

Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard name Toshiba Satellite A505

Online description of the Laptop:
Toshiba Satellite A505-S6970 - Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz - 16" TFT - Laptops - CNET Archive

The CNET review states:
Chipset Type Mobile Intel GM45 Express

Searching for GM45 Express yields:
Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset

Which states:
FSB... 667MHz / 800MHz / 1066MHz

Now what I'm not sure about is whether or not the chipset type controls what FSB the motherboard can operate at. Or does the motherboard itself set the max available FSB independent of the chipset type?

Basically I can't get too much info on the capabilities of the mobo because Toshiba doesn't advertise it's specs. Obviously if the mobo will only run at 800 FSB max, a new chip running at 1066 instead of 800 won't even be an upgrade. Slightly more cache in this case, same multiplier (I think), but downclocked to 800 I would assume.

Thanks for any information guys.

If you can't find any information, I wouldn't push it. I've done a quick Google, came up with nothing. Maybe you should ask Toshiba support of what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom