External Drive Not Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackP

Solid State Member
I have a western digital external hard drive that I am trying to convert from NTFS to Fat32, I tried doing it through the CMD but it didn't work, I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I can convert it, any help would be nice.

Im a newbie so I dont have any answers, but I am getting ready to purchase a WD HDD, sounds like their pretty good. I am wondering what you mean by converting from NTFS to Fat32, is this a system version conversion? Trying to become a little more savy so Im reading questions and tryin to figure out things. Thanks. It would help me figure things out if I come across the same problem.

try doing to from just normal GUI windows. Right click on the External HDD and select format. or what your saying is that windows wont even detect it in the first place.

@Jim, if you have questions please start your own thread.

@Jack, if you're using windows (xp or later) then there's reasons NOT to convert to Fat32. File size limitations, drive degradation, etc. What you need to do is this:
1. Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'.
2. On the list on the left, click on 'Disk Management'
3. You'll see a list of all the hard drives plugged into your pc, one of these should be the external drive. Right click on it, and hit 'format'.

Post up if you hit any problems with this procedure, or problems after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom