Newb Help with Clearing Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'VE LISTENED TO WHAT YOU'VE SAID, and everyone else, thats all ive been doing, but none of that is working.

Dude, the last thing you had was 'I cant find out how to clear the bios' and I cleared that up for you that you need to clear the CMOS and not the BIOS and that it's completely different. Where have you said that you've tried clearing the CMOS? NO WHERE!!! You have YET to tell us whether you had tried clearing the CMOS...I cleared up the info for you that it's considered clearing the cmos and not the BIOS and you jump down my throat....

about 45 min ago, i thought "clearing the Bios" was different than "Clearing the Cmos".... i cleared the cmos, and that didn't work. so don't say i'm not listenin

yes but can you quote where you said 'Ok folks, I tried clearing the CMOS and nothing happened' ..........as soon as you can do that then I guess your point will be proven...but until you do...the fact remains that you never once said that you tried clearing the CMOS already....and then after you were pissed that that didn't work...somehow took my post as an offensive post to you and retaliated....

Aright so I've re-read over your problems....if you're plugging in your video cable and it the light goes orange..that means you have a hardware problem....Did you ever once hear any sort of beeps when you go to power it on. The beeps are code that help you to troubleshoot which again you'd need the manual to cross reference what the beeps mean. Get memtest86+ and create a bootable CD or floppy and test your RAM to make sure that isn't crappy....if you have two sticks...try them seperately for errors...if they are clear...then try both at the same time..could be they just don't like each other....if you've tried two different graphics cards, it's probably not the graphics card and so it seems it's coming down to RAM, CPU, or Motherboard..and you said you were merely switching out motherboards...SOOOOo what COULD be happening is that when you seated your motherboard it's accidentally grounding out somewhere....you made sure to put in the metal studs before placing in the mobo right? So that it's not just resting on the metal? Grounding out of mobos is very common and will cause your Computer not to boot....Did you take your CPU off when you transferred the mobo to the new case? If not then I'd say the CPU probably isn't the problem....but when your computer doesn't boot, has no beeps, no signals to nothing, but you have power going to the system, then it's either the Mobo, CPU, RAM, or Video Card....since you've tested two different cards I'm going to assume it's not the card, if you didn't remove the CPU I'm going to guess it's not the CPU....so run that memtest and see if it's the RAM...if it's not the RAM then quite possibly the mobo is grounding out on the case.

its defianetly not grounding. i have these copper "spacers" or some golden brown metal that spaces the motherboard from the case, i didn't remove the cpu when i transfered the mobo. should there be paper washers between the screws and the mobo?

i have these copper "spacers" or some golden brown metal
That's what I meant by the metal studs, those are made of brass I believe because I think that is a non-electrically conductive metal...well not completely NON...but less conductive than copper. No there doesn't need to be any paper washers between the screws and the mobo..should simply go on the studs and screw goes in...

Well.....to troubleshoot your computer to find the problem you have to do this: (BTW: You never answered...do you hear any beeps at all when you try to boot it up? Does ANYTHING at all happen? or is it just that blank screen with orange light like you said)

Take the motherboard COMPLETELY out of the case....you need to rest it on something that will 100% be non-electrically conductive...hell if you can put strings through the holes and have it hanging from the air then there you go...but anyway....get the motherboard out...put in ONE stick of RAM...the Video Card....and plug in the keyboard...and see what happens......if your computer POST's and you're able to get into the BIOS, then it looks like it's something to do with your hard drives or cd-roms.....but I doubt that'd be the problem..but ya never know....

If nothing still happens...then remove that RAM stick.....if your computer then beeps upon trying to turn it on...that RAM stick is bad and is what kept your computer from booting up or doing anything for that matter.

I had switched out mobos...and a hair had layed down across the RAM slot...I didn't see it...put the RAM in and so basically of course the hair was pushed in with the RAM and my system would NOT boot....same thing..no video signal, no beeps no nothin....upon reseating the RAM and getting rid of that hair it booted up no prob.......

You've swapped out video cards I know, but still like I said you basically gotta remove a part one at a time until you get something out of your computer and you can figure out what the problem is.

there are no sounds, beeps or anything, just a black monitor..... i'm going to try all that tommorrow, i'll get back to u on what i tried. thanks alot.

ok i put the motherboard on a couple layers of cardboard, that didn't work. i removed the ram, and there was no sound.... i don't think i'm clearing the CMOS right. i've followed all the steps the manual says step by step, and the ones Lev said, still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom