Just hooked up new computer and it wont recognize HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwaynesox

In Runtime
I just built my new pc and it started up fine all except for one thing. I tried to install windows 7 ( and windows xp just to check) and everytime I try it wont recognize my hd but when I go into the bios it shows up but I cant select it as the master or anything.

I have this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130238 and this hard drive Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ANy idea what I can do to get windows installed on this

I'm not exactly sure so don't take this as the only possible answer but Seagates tend to not be that great of a hard drive. I have one and absolutely hate it. So it may be the hard drive regardless if it is brand new or not.

It is a SATA drive, so you can't set slave/master/cable select, that only applies to older technology.

Have you tried to change the SATA mode? There should be something like AHCI and Compatability mode, try switching those around, also, you need to format the drive prior to installing an OS, other wise, it won't see the drive.

Also check to see you have RAID enabled or something funky, sometimes, strangely, Windows 7 won't have a particular SATA controllers drivers on the cd, and you may have to put the drivers on a flash drive, and tell windows to load drivers at the screen where you select your HDD.

Seagate 1TB internal 3.5" hard drives have a problem. Techs at a local PC shop have told me the boss won't buy them any more after having to return most of those purchased previously. This could be the problem. I've heard nothing negative about other sizes of Seagate 7200rpm internal hard drives. Newer Western Digitals are another matter, especially when it comes to installing linux on them, unfortunantely.

Maybe try running a hard drive diagnostic tool. Anybody know of a bootable diagnostic tool? I found SeaTools but that looks like it is done from within Windows. Surely there is some kind of bootable software out there.

It is a SATA drive, so you can't set slave/master/cable select, that only applies to older technology.

Have you tried to change the SATA mode? There should be something like AHCI and Compatability mode, try switching those around, also, you need to format the drive prior to installing an OS, other wise, it won't see the drive.

Also check to see you have RAID enabled or something funky, sometimes, strangely, Windows 7 won't have a particular SATA controllers drivers on the cd, and you may have to put the drivers on a flash drive, and tell windows to load drivers at the screen where you select your HDD.

Ok so where could I even find these drivers? And how can I format said drive without hooking it up to another computer

ok messed around a bit more its already in raid mode and I DLed the motherboard drivers and loaded them and still nothing. Weird that I have to format the drive before installing a new OS as I never had to do that before with my builds.

Anyways my friend was gonna bring over a 160gb ide drive tonight and see if we can just install windows on that and then format the drive in windows, should that work?

Should, and I said check to see if it's enabled, if RAID is enabled, and you only have one drive, then the OS will not see the drive properly, raid requires multiple drives, setup inside the raid controller.

Disable RAID.

Well my friends coming overlater regardless so I'm just gonna install on there then run the disc wizard thing , nothing bad will come of me installing windows on the IDE drive right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom