static/hissing speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Hello all. One problem that I am having, today it was quiet and I was at the comp surfing the web and whatnot and I heard this faint hissing, I turned up the volume and the speakers were sounding real bad, like background noise and static and hissing. I checked out the device manager and all the sound devices (there's only one real sound device, but it states that the codecs are devices as well) were good and working properly, so I updated/reinstalled the drivers from the ASUS site (I'm using the mobo's onboard 8.1 channel audio that in my sig) and that didn't help either. I think it's either my cheapy Creative speakers (the amp part in the sub) or the onboard audio itself is messed up somehow.

I am going to put an old Soundblaster Live 5.1 card into the comp and see if I hear any differences, but before that I wanted to get some ideas on what I could troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Matthew

Could be loose cord. Could be your speakers going out, so swapping out speakers will determine that. ASUS Boards suck nowadays not to offend you or anything, but they simply arent what they used to be so I don't expect anything but garbage from them now. Not only that but onboard audio is fairly new and although they are getting fancy with '8 channel onboard' and stuff like that from simply one slot to put in a headset....it's still not perfected....I've noticed before when scrolling with my mouse I can hear the electrical current going through the computer or something through my headphones since I'm using onboard sound. My last board, the onboard sound was just plain crappy and would cause the sounds in games to lag and took away from system performance. Try swapping speakers, that doesn't help, then do like you said and just put in a sound card and I'm sure the hissing will be cleared up then.

Heh, yeah Nubius, it's ASUS' problem, the Soundblaster Live card fixed the problem. By the way, of course I checked all my cords and connections first and the speakers are only 5-6 months old.

Yeah figured man...lol saw your post in that other guys forums..about being an ASUS fan and all that good stuff....I personally won't ever buy them again...they are just going downhill quick =/ Dude..when I bought my FX 5700 card...when I put it in the board...my computer wouldn't boot...ASUS replies back with 'You need new card. Get replacement. Sincerely, ZYC , Taiwan ASUS Tech Support'

funny thing though...as soon as I replace the mobo...the card works fine...not only that but I told them it was their sh!tty board because the card worked in my friends comp which had a freakin AZZA motherboard which I've never even heard of, using PC133 ram and an AMD Duron 1GHz.....compared to my ASUS board with PC2700 RAM and a 2400+ XP...but oh yeah 'my card' was the problem....psht

just coz u experienced 1 problem from them doesn't really mean they all suck. maybe their tech support sux a lil'.

I can vouch for Nubius, most of my components are ASUS and I have had problems with their tech support. I would say that their failure to respond to a customer at all is a problem.

just coz u experienced 1 problem from them doesn't really mean they all suck.
Yeah that's somewhat true...but when you've known people who've had ASUS's with problems or helped people in these forums with ASUS's with forums and you are mainly hearing about such things as ASUS's and troubleshooting you put 2 and 2 together and start assuming their quality is going down. Ask ag3 he'll tell ya. I helped probably 4 consequative people in these forums that had the same problem with the ASUS board that I had...not the same board, just same problem.

EDIT: Hahahaha speaking of ASUS's sucking and going bad in the forums: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=216021#post216021

See derfist...they suck :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom