pcix, SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidas

Daemon Poster
SLI is looking pretty damn nice, ive seen information that says it can increase perfomance a solid 80% over one card of the same kind. is this the entire future of gaming? will gaming companies begin to sell all videocards in 2x packs? anyone know any prices on this stuff yet? and how much sense do you guys think it would make to go for this before it becomes mainstream? i saw the first system built with it in a pc magazine i got this month. it was 3000$ when configured with 1 gig of ram, 2 Nvidia 6800's, athlon FX55 a damn fine case, flat panel monitor, speakers and everything else you need... how much to configure a system like this?

I would say $3000 for what you described would be worth it to me. I don't know if gaming companies will straight sell cards in two packs...that's actually a really good question. I would say yeah this is probably looking to be somewhat the future of gaming, yet if you had 2 6800 Ultras you'd need an 800w power supply with 50a per Rail just to support all your stuff it'd seem because those are power hungry. I'd assume if they did package it in two's it be like RAM that's been tested in Dual channel, these cards will have been tested in SLI. I would assume this is the way of future gaming as they are starting to reach a point where power consumption and heat are becoming MAJOR issues and I don't even know what they can do beyond the current top standards. I have NO CLUE of the price of any of this stuff yet, but you can be guaranteed a PCI-X SLI based board isn't going to be cheap. I personally wouldn't go for it until it's more mainstream and it's to the point where you're a little behind the times...then everything is nice and cheap :D

SLI is looking pretty damn nice, ive seen information that says it can increase perfomance a solid 80% over one card of the same kind.
I've been reading on this for quite some time now, Alienware actually introduced this whole 2 cards used in one system before Nvidia but I don't remember what they were going to call it then shortly after all you hear about is Nvidias SLI Technology! Basically the way I hear it...you see the most performance increase the more you try and tax your card....that is basically backwards thought compared to traditional cards.....obviously the more you tax it by adding AF, and AA, higher resolution etc...performance goes down...this SLI technology appearantly FEEDS on high performance so basically SLI technology is useless if a 6800 withstand current standards because then what's the point of adding another card? Besides simply taking off half the load...then both cards are working at half capacity..and they'd rather be working at full...so therefore you crank up every imaginable setting and it'll love it....kinda weird actually but I love the thought of that...it strives for the highest settings.......I say it'll be ATLEAST one year before it even becomes somewhat 'mainstream'......64 bit systems and the SLI technology and PCI-E will be the future and will be completely implimented within 5 I say and that will be about the norm. And the system I have no allbeit fast will be like an old Intel 133 machine.

i personally just can't wait for dual core processors, think ill wait til they come out to go for 64-bit computing. I was definitely considering getting an AMD-64 at beginning of 2005, but now im waiting, im sold on the performance boost, especially once they become mainstream and GAMES get programmed to support dual processor type systems(hyperthreading, Dual core, dual processors), then with SLI thrown in the mix i see a massive advance in computing power within 2 years(like this prophecy makes me genius :D) . But i mean amazing like when the 1ghz mark was hit, and when AMD64 came out... oh well we shall see i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom