New Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grazsrootz

Beta member
Hey guys, i have a fwe qestions for you, i have been looking at this site, www.ibuypower.com for a new computer, is this a good cheap site to buy from? do you know any better places?

i also wanted to know what perfroms better;

Pentium 4 Hyper threaded, with around 3.2 ghz
or
athalon 64 with comparable stats, like maybe a 3200 or 3400

I am looking to do gaming, which one of these processors would be generally better for gaming?

64 3400 definatly. I personally like the P4 3.2E, it's the chip I have, it's great for doing multiple things like opening apps, running multiple programs, due to it's Hyper threading. But for games, go with AMD.

I don't think there are any "quality" differences between the chips. The P4 might run hotter, but that has nothing to do with quality. They are both (intel and AMD) really well respected manufacturers and both have their share of pros and cons.

they are way more expensive than www.ibuypower.com but thanks for the links. what makes AMD better for gaming? and will it be faster for normal desktop stuff, like running kazaa, browsing the internet, and doing other things?

Running stuff like kazaa is just begging to load your computer down with junk, spyware, and all kinds of crap, use a program like DC++ if you want "file sharing" and yeah ...alienware.com doesnt have 'reasonable' prices at all.....

AMD has shorter pipelines and can do more instructions per clock cycle than Intel. That's why they have lower clock speeds but still perform just as well if not better than Intel. Currently my 2.7GHz OC'd processor is faster than a 64 3500+ as far as a CPU Arithmatic and Multimedia benchmark goes only because we arent in a 64bit environment yet...so really the 64 doesn't fully utilize itself quite yet...but this means your computer will be fully prepared for quite longer than my machine will be.

and will it be faster for normal desktop stuff, like running kazaa, browsing the internet, and doing other things?
This is where people get so hung up.....it'll all be about the same.....both top of the line chips will perform damn near the same it depends really on personal preferance...I like AMD because they never advertise and it seems like they listen to their users and our demands and make a chip based on that. Intel is too busy marketing putting money in their pockets and selling their crap to Dell, compaq, PeoplePC, and all those brand name pieces of junk that people buy all the time. They focus solely on the numbers so people will see 3.6GHz vs 2.2GHz at the same price and not understand why and automatically go with Intel.

The truth is until windows64bit has been released and is completely 100% completed and stable (which no OS really is, but you know what I mean) then it has no substantial increases for the moment.......

OCSS3.jpg

Look how my processor at 2.7GHz benched against those other processors...it beats even a 3.8GHz Intel in the dhrystone benchmarks....that goes to show you AMD has a lot of punch for their 'little numbers'

All in all if you've been an Intel man try AMD, you won't be disappointed. They make great chips and don't try to advertise or brag about it like Intel.

As far as gaming and apps...that relies more on your RAM and Graphics card now.....if you get a 64bit system you should get a minimum of PC3200 RAM if not 3500 just so you'll be prepared for the future...but you need to get socket 939 board for the AMD64 so you can have upgradeability in the future and it also supports dual channel RAM. Don't let stupid terms like 'Ooooh Hyper-Threading' throw you off and make it seem like it has some all important feature that only they have. I hope this has been somewhat informative....but realize it mainly comes to personal preference but I really suggest you go AMD...you won't be disappointed.

wow, that helps alot, im still left with some questions, u overclocked ur cpu, right? is it hard to do? will i be able to do it? and does ur comp overheat?

overclocking depends on what hardware you got. the better quality, the better possibility for overclocking. If you want to get in to details, you should check out the sticky. Here's the link
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22031

Yes, your comp does overheat, that's why overclocking isn't a given.
If overheating wasn't an issue, we would all get a cheap ass cpu and clock it up to the max that it's architecture allows it to. The only reason overclocking is risky is because the comp parts overheat and possibily damage your hardware permenently or worse, blow up. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom