First Build for new work/gaming desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryRoyals

Solid State Member
Hi, I know only so much about computers. The computer I am using now is an Asus G1s notebook. Good little guy, but now its been three years and I'm looking to buy a desktop with very good gaming features and can handle my work load. I use music and video editing software which tear my asus to pieces on the RAM and CPU. These programs pretty much hog the computer. As for gaming I'd like to play games like Crysis on High just to give you an idea.

Here's my budget and knowledge of what I am looking at.

Budget:$2,000-$2,500

RAM:6GB or 8GB
GPU: Not sure about SLI/Crossfire but maybe around the GTX 460 or better or an equal choice from AMD??
CPU:Quad-core? at least 2.8Ghz
Cooling fan of somesort
Many USB ports, eSATA input or better, HDMI input
SD slot
7200RPM Hard drive or better, 500GB of space maybe?

I already have a keyboard, mouse, speaker system and monitor. As you can see I know somethings but definitely not all. I would like to order the computer this December. I am open to all comments and questions.

Thank You,
Jerry

Do you plan on overclocking this machine? If not, then the Noctua cooler is not needed. But if you do plan to overclock, then keep the Noctua. It is a very good cooler as I speak from experience.

Abstract Hero, does he really need that much of a PSU? That seems way overkill if you ask me. Maybe something like this, Corsair 850TX.

Also with that budget, couldn't he fit an GTX 580 in there? IMO, I would not mess with SLI. I would just get one really good card.

To start off, that is a nice run up of hardware. You're right I don't believe SLI is for me. But I'm confused on whats better to get: Radeon HD 6870, GTX580, GTX 480, and possibly GTX 460. The cooler I'd like to omit if I don't need it. I don't plan on overclocking. I do have a high budget but anything that costs less is a plus .

What do you think about this case. Seems like I could save money here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-068-_-Product

I'd like to have 8GB of RAM, the i7 950 is appealing. The 850PSU looks like a good choice as well.

What are your thoughts

Lets see what we can do for ya Jerry

Case + CPU + MOBO

Intel Core i7-950 + ASUS Sabertooth X58 + COOLER MASTER HAF X

Link

GPU

EVGA GeForce GTX 580

Link

RAM + OS

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit + CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600

Link

SDD

OCZ RevoDrive PCI-E x4 120GB - Read up to 540MB/s Write up to 490MB/s

Link

STORAGE HDD

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Link

CPU COOLER

CORSAIR Hydro H70

Link

PSU

CORSAIR CMPSU 750W

Link

With combos comes in under $2,000.00

Well he has the budget.

What I figured when building that is this can be extremely future proof and over the top.

If he ever wants to OC he's ready. If he ever upgrades that PSU has it covered. PLUS that PSU and GPU was a steal at the price IMO. He will want a good cooler OC or not because that 480 will heat a small home.

GTX580 is not being stocked by newegg and he wants this built in December and I hear talk that they won't have them till January. He could order them somewhere else but that would be up to him.

If you check newegg everyday they are getting cards in, then they go out of stock. The GIGABYTE was in stock when i posted this, let me see....

yep still in stock

And right now the 580 is so new, brands don't matter much.

If you have the budget, i would go all out.

Your wish list is missing a aftermarket cooler. Even if your not OC'ing, the stock one sucks

also the motherboards cpu socket type is AM3, for the cpu you want you need LGA 1366

60GB SSD is really small, with OS, and 2 games you can fill that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom