Help with new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

away1404

Solid State Member
I'm making a build for my brother. My parents said they'd pay any reasonable amount for me to build him a computer for christmas and this is what i got.. (please make sure everything matches and will work properly)

Mobo:ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU:SILVERSTONE OP800 800W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Case:Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAM:patriot Gamer Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGS34G1333LLKA

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Processor:Intel Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I5650

Thanks for the help

One thing I would change is the cpu. If you get an i5 series, you might as well get the quad core, Intel i5 750. The quad cores are just as cheap or cheaper than most dual cores.

Maybe change the ram to this, G Skill 4gb DDR3 1600, cheaper and faster.

BTW, what does your brother intend to do with this machine? What would be the most you want to spend on this?

Once again, get those in combo deals and you're set. Everything is compatible, although I would go with the 750 over a 600 series i5. See if you can drop the price enough to toss in a SSD.

and also! i was wondering what the difference between these two processors is... a quad core with 2.66 GHz and a dual core with 3.2 GHz
if i were to play wow, listen to itunes, and have firefox up, and wanted to alt+tab out of them and switch windows, which would be the best?

Which would be best? An i7.

haha but seriously. A quad core. Clock speeds don't matter as much as the # of cores, as the clock can be changed but we can't set the CPU to "12 cores" through BIOS. Come to think of it, overcoring sounds like a good idea...
Trust us. The i5 750/760 is much better than the 600 series. The only advantage with the 600 series is the integrated graphics for budget builds, as well as the 655k for overclocking.

but if i dont have any experience overclocking, why not get the higher clock speed instead of breaking hardware?

you can get the higher clock speed, no one's telling you you can't. Go ahead. Just get a higher clock speed with the same number of cores. And you're not breaking hardware. It's not like overclocking a calculator where you have to manually solder a resistor onto the PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom