First timer, building a gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean for the GPU? I just got one of these ones. Though like I said, I ordered everything on that list except the RAM and cooling fan, so it's a bit late to go pick something else now >>

Nice, but you could do better for the price. I wonder how well a GTS 450 tri-sli would perform?
Not to say that it's not a good card. It's just that the GTX 470 isn't a big enough performance increase from the 460, imo. Especially if that 460 is overclocked.

Newegg still has plenty of RAM on sale, ya know. you're not necessarily tethered to a specific model. And the fan offers even greater flexibility. Try these alternatives:
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G
or really, RAM: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,Desktop Memory,6GB (3 x 2GB),Triple Channel Kit,DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Any 200mm fan will fit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eactivatedMark=False&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

That RAM came back in stock so I got it. Lucky me.
I'm not interested in overclocking or that SLI thing -- this is my first time, and I don't want to do anything too complicated.

It's not that complicated!

I tread on thin ice here... the last person I "helped" ended up being incredibly frustrated as a result of ridiculous complications. But then I didn't know exactly what I was talking about, while I do know for a fact from first-hand experience that overclocking is easy, even for a noob. Trust me. It's waay easy. It's easy to the point where it's almost not worth NOT overclocking, even if only slightly. I suggest you be a little more open-minded about it.

You know if I had the cash, I would not build my own machine, but find one on, like, Craigslist that someone is trying to unload. I came across a machine on Craigslist that I wanted to check out really bad, but I didn't have the cash. It was a BEAST. It had an i7 960 Intel chip, 1200 watt Corsair psu, Crossfired 5870's, etc., etc.,... I priced out the build and it cost him about 3500. He wanted 1500 for it. You could get more than that just parting the sucker out, but I had other plans for that thing....

It's not that complicated!

I tread on thin ice here... the last person I "helped" ended up being incredibly frustrated as a result of ridiculous complications. But then I didn't know exactly what I was talking about, while I do know for a fact from first-hand experience that overclocking is easy, even for a noob. Trust me. It's waay easy. It's easy to the point where it's almost not worth NOT overclocking, even if only slightly. I suggest you be a little more open-minded about it.

I'm willing to try overclocking, I suppose, but I'd like to get the computer built and working first before trying anything else that I haven't done :p

I've got everything sitting in boxes in my dining room...I'll have to take a picture soon. Though I realized I still need to buy the little things like screws (I suppose? I was reading a few tutorials and they mentioned them) and zip ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom