How to transfer Data from My desktop to Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevz

Baseband Member
Hey guys I Just want to know How to transfer the data from my Desktop computer To my laptop
Well im trying to just Transfer the songs From one Pc to the Other
I got Cross Crimped cables and I am currently using IP messenger one of my friends had suggested that

Plz give Suggestions i need it its very Urgent and very important

What should i Do and suggest the best and easy ways to Transfer data I got a IBM thinkpad

You could put the song files on CD's or a flash drive. If you have the actual music CD, you could just re-rip the songs. If you have a network, I believe you can transfer the files that way. I'm not to sure about the network method though....I don't really know much about them.

EDIT: Or i guess you could take the drive out of your laptop and put it into your desktop and transfer the files that way.

-Silent Fear

You could buy a small USB drive and transfer them that way. That's what I do, and it works like a charm. They're also very inexpensive. Just got to amazon, bestbuy, or compusa...any electronics or computer store should have them.
Come to think of it, pricewatch.com should have them too.

If both have a LAN port, you could use a LAN patch cable to connect the two.

An easier solution would be to buy one of those pc-to-pc USB cables that allow you to hook up two PC's and do transfers that way. Works great. I use one at work when I'm porting my laptop's docs to my desktop after a trip.

Well theres lots of options really. The first one that comes to mind if ftp.. Just setup a sever on one machine then connect to the other with login/password and bam. Theres lots of simple windows ftp servers like g6/raiden/servu theres tons. Linux is also the same but I would use VSFTPD (great stuff). You said your laptop is an IBM, just go download the "IBM Data Transfer" software....I dont know much about it im installing now and will repost if its any good. My 3rd option on this list would be simple SMB filesharing with netbios. Or in other words windows file sharing with the "my network places." These are just some simple options. Hope this helps some.

Woah, sorry. Totaly read that wrong you could try getting a small hub (I say hub because that tech is outdated and cheap) or a switch and just link them with cat5. Its a good solution and it might cost you $100 I wouldnt see any other option. Well you could ge a wireless pci card for your pc and do an ADHOC network... Im sure most IBMs come with wireless built in.

not all (IBM laptops). But a wired solution is best for this as far as cost go anyway. The switch/hub would be so simple I don't understand why there was so much other focus. even the crossover cable would be simple. you just need to make sure the IPs of each machine are in the same subnet so that they can talk to each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom