Athlon II X3 or X4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The odds are good, but not guaranteed. A Phenom x3 would give a better chance, but you may pay as much as an Athlon x4.

Your best bet is to look for combos on NewEgg that would let you get better components for your money.

Here's a sample build I suggested for someone else:
Here's a better one that fits the budget:
AMD Phenom II x3 BE and 890GX mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
HD 5570 and Win7 pro: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Raidmax Smilodon case, 500w PSU, and 4GB DDR3: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
Cheapo HSF: Newegg.com - MASSCOOL 5F9001B1H3 80mm Ball CPU Cooler
Caviar Black 500GB :Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Cheap ODD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
That's still a cheap build, but it includes Win7 pro, Phenom II x3 black edition CPU, up-to-date and 100% upgradeable motherboard w/SATAIII and USB 3.0, 4GB DDR3, a modern DirectX 11 GPU, and is around $450 (I think). Not bad ;D

BTW if you don't mind spending a little more, go with a better GPU. You can afford as high as an HD 5770 or so with the extra $100 and the $50 that is the HD 5570.
A Phenom II BE x3 is much better than an Athlon II. Mostly because it's a black edition. I'd go with a better HSF than the one I posted, so you could harness the overclocking potential.
edit: whoops sorry the links don't work- but take a look at the original post in the thread titled "Should I buy these computers?" in this same forum.

I'm pretty sure that that build is only $450 or so, and then just subtract the cheap one and add a decent $30 one or so and you should still be well under budget.

i have a phenom II x3 740 unlocked 4th. From the reviews id be pretty certain that the 740 will unlock. Best bang for your buck as far as cpus go.

I think were talking about the same cpu, maybe idk, but i was referring to the AMD Phenom II x3 740BE.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor HDZ740WFK3DGI - Processors - Desktops
I payed $88 for it and its gone down more since then.

Youll need a HSF because of the oem deal, just comes with cpu in a plastic container.

The black edition with a after market HSF will bring out its cool feature, unlocked multiplier which will allow ur to oc for better performance in gaming.
This is mostly general knowledge on TF so u probably already know this.

also you will need a am3 motherboard that supports a feature called ACC.

but paying that much for a processor, + a HSF and Thermal paste would save no money.

Not sure what motherboard to pair it with. I need at least 1 PCI-E x16, A PCI-E x4 or x8, an x1, and USB 3.0 Hopefully for under $110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom