New Gaming or Server Build (Looking to buy today!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inserity

Baseband Member
Hello all,

First, let me list my current Gaming PC which was built in '08:

Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Patriot Viper 4GB
ATI 4870 1GB
Corsair 750-TX

I am thinking about making this a Server simply because I'm getting into IT consulting and I need something to work/practice on etc. Then I would build a new Gaming PC/Workstation.

Would this be a good idea? Would this perform decent as a server? I'd like to set it up as any type of server that I can, including a gaming server (which I would think to be most taxing on the hardware) and I'm guessing this would work just fine. Or should I buy a separate server?

I would be taking out the 4870 1GB and putting in a 8800GT (spare card). I'll keep the 4870 1GB for the other build for now.

I will also take out the Corsair 750-TX and maybe grab a decent 500w PSU.

~~~

If I go for a new Gaming build, here's my thoughts. My budget is around $1000 without graphics card:

i7-950:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

ASUS Sabertooth x58 (Any thoughts on this? I really like Asus but don't know how this performs. I was also looking at an EVGA board):
Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

4870 1GB (My current Graphics card)

OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600C9ELV6GK

OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (Any thoughts on this?):
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Corsair 750-TX (My current PSU)

NZXT Phantom (Anyone have this? I've researched a bit and it seems like it can hold up well):
Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU Cooler (I haven't looked at any and I would like some suggestions)

Notes on the RAM. I am not very knowledgeable in RAM as far as speeds and timing. If someone can direct me to a somewhat updated link with some info, that would be fantastic.

What I do know is, the better quality RAM, the better it can overclock. I want to overclock so I'm willing to spend on good RAM. I've heard OCZ makes good RAM but I am unsure as to what type I would want, and what actually performs well (Newegg reviews don't help). With my current PC, I messed up on the RAM and got slower RAM and I was unable to overclock it correctly. I don't wanna make the same mistake.

~~~

I know this was a long post but hopefully someone can reply by the end of the day, as I would like to buy this asap (today) because of the sales.

Thanks in advance!
- Todd

Your current build is way better than a server needs...

As for a cooler, Slaymates reviews show the Noctua nh-14 is top notch but 90 bucks and huge!

Not too sure on ram, but the lower the timings, 9-9-9-24, the better as well as faster speed. These OCZ are about your average set. I have the ddr2 version and like them.

Your current build is way better than a server needs...

As for a cooler, Slaymates reviews show the Noctua nh-14 is top notch but 90 bucks and huge!

Not too sure on ram, but the lower the timings, 9-9-9-24, the better as well as faster speed. These OCZ are about your average set. I have the ddr2 version and like them.

So you're saying my current PC might be overkill for an average tasked server? Maybe I should just keep what I have and upgrade? How does the Q9550 compare to the i7-950? I mean, there'd be an obvious improvement but just how much? Maybe I should get a better graphics card for gaming?

The Noctua might be a bit over the top for me. It probably performs great but it's a bit too expensive for me. Hows the Cooler Master V8?

I also found out the Sabertooth X58 isn't too great, especially for overclocking.

For RAM, would these be better:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600C6LV6GK

Or should I get the Reapers?

The 950 seems to be reported at about 30% faster at stock speeds... And saddly, you can't upgrade from where you are, its near the top.... I'm in this process right now actualy updating my q6600 for a 950... but throught ncix, which is canadian, i'm getting the nh-14 free...

NCIXUS.com - Buy NCIX Silent Bundle Deal Intel Core i7 950 Quad Core CPU & Noctua NH-U12P 120MM Heatpipe Cooler - 950 & NH-U12P SE2. here if you didn't buy the 950 yet... and you get ca $10 gift card back.

I'm staying away from the sabertooth too, Am willing to spend abit more for a better base. Them oczs look quite nice forf timings, so if you have to loosen it up for oc'n you have room.

Yay... found this review, though no 950, its on the i7 and q chips New Hit from Remake King: Intel Core i7 Review. Page 12 - X-bit labs

I'm also getting involved in IT consulting. I think it's a great idea to have a server running and the specs look more than good enough.
Do you have any certifications yet?

Regarding your build:
Would you be running your OS and games off the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD, or what's the plan here. Your are also buying the 1TB 7200 drive. Would this be for storage?

The RAM and Mobo could be better. I'm also doing some research at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom