[HDD] Dying drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetop

Solid State Member
So, i've been having this weird issue since a few weeks ago when it started randomly doing the following:

Whenever i try to run/read/verify/erase files from my HDD (Samsung HD501LJ) it makes this clicking noise 1-6 times (mostly 4) about 5 seconds apart where it does nothing, as if it shuts itself down for 20 seconds. It happens while i play, i tried with HDDScan and before every test it clicks 4 times. My computer is pretty basic, Asus P5K, Q6600, 4gb ddr2 800MHZ, 4890HD... Running Windows 7.

HDtune finds no errors whatsoever on the error scan, the drive runs at 38c, shows everything at OK on the health tab but these are the performance charts = (take note i had programs open, which probably made the dips, even tho this was a few minutes after boot)

hdtunebenchmarksamsungha.png

During the test it had no clicks whatsoever.

And for added measure here's my other HD, no errors on that drive either. It's 3 times bigger yet it's faster?
hdtunebenchmarkst315003.png

EDIT= okay, HDtune still shows no problems but HDDScan shows "Current Pending Errors Count" at 92, which seems to be a problem for it? Not sure if thats any helpful.

EDIT2= so i played around with HDDScans features, and it seems that when i spin the HD down, and it starts to spin back up, it makes a clicking sound again.

EDIT3= lol... Tried to install SeaTools, and when it started scanning for supported drives, the HDD just kept on clicking every 5 or so seconds, and the install program jammed right there...

Roge-o, been doing that for a while now anyway, guess i'll be looking at a SSD drive next.

dont think that SSD's dont come with there only problems , theres a big misconception that a SSD is so much more reliable that a standard drive, Ive got drives that are 5 years old and still work as good as day one, i think they key is to always keep a backup of your backup, i tend to ghost a important drive to a slave every now and then just incase

SSD's aren't more reliable. They are reliable as a regular HDD. It can break for some unknown reason. On any drive, backup is the cue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom