mail server and multiple domain question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

In Runtime
Ok... I have set up a mail server on a 2k3 machine.. This same machine is the domain controller for a local network (dns entry mynet.local) and the webhost for my website (dns entry- mynet.com)

The local network and web host are working perfectly and have been working for months now..

I can access the mail server as long as I use the local address (mynet-lymp2u.mynet.local). However, if I try to use an outside domain call (mail.mynet.com) it fails..

I have set up an MX in the DNS that points to the local address and a host (A) entry (mail.mynet.com) that points to the ip address (although I don't think that I need it) in the mynet.com forward lookup zone.

I would greatly appreciate some information on how I can set up my DNS for the mynet.com zones that will recognize mail.mynet.com as a pointer to the local address of the mail server..

I can put up my entire DNS listing if that will help..

Also, I will need (in the near future) to add another website (under a different domain name).. Is it possible to set up IIS6 to serve more than one website and if so do I have to have a second IP address for the second domain? Also, How would I set up my DNS if I don't have to have a second IP address?

Thanks everyone,
Alexander

well.. I tried something and it worked.. I removed the MX and host (A) entry and made a CNAME entry of mail.mynet.com that pointed to the local address of the mailserver and IT WORKED!!

Thought I would leave the thread up though in case someone else needed the info..

However, I still the help with the secondary domain and website with IIS 6..

Thanks again,
Alexander

I havent worked with IIS in any great amount of detail, however I know in Apache you can create Virtual Servers. Basically it creates two virtual IP addresses.

So if you wanted to run two websites, one at www.somedomain.com and the other at www.fakedomain.com, you would forward it all to the one IP of the webserver in your DNS. When the request arrives at the webserver, Apache will look at the destination and display the correct website.

I know you can do Virtual Directories in IIS..not sure about Virtual Servers though...although you could probably do it if you looked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom