Really Need HELP! (In middle of build!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone!

Well all my parts came today and I am just about done hooking the entire thing up. I have my SSD, HDD, Blu-ray, ODD, CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, Motherboard Mounted, PSU Installed, Power going to everything, and finally have put my two video cards into my case. However I need some help with this problem I have.

I ordered an Radeon ATI HD5870 Video Card and a PsyX Dedicated GTS 450 Vid Card SLI. I have them both installed into the motherboard power hooked up to the PSU but I do not know if I actually have to connect them TOGETHER somehow. I guess you would say Crossfire? However I do not know or think that I am doing Crossfire because of them being different video cards and what not. I could probably take a picture but it will be with my crappy iPhone and the lighting isn't great. I am pretty sure I have everything else set-up properly but I just need to know about this and whether or not I have to CONNECT this two cards together. Looking at them it doesn't look like their is actually a spot to do so. I will link the MOBO, two video cards, and if you need anything else linked please let me know.

Dedicated GTS 450 PsyX Card Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N450-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Radeon ATI HD5870 Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Mobo Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Please help me out...

I do not think I literally have to connect the two of them but I am not sure. As I said from looking at it I can't seem to see where they would connect at. There is a spot on the HD5870 (Golden Fingers?) but not on the GTS 450.

Other than that I think I pretty well have this thing put together.

You can't run a dedicated Physx card with an ATI main card and they will not connect in any way.

EDIT: To get into more depth.

A physx setup requires both cards to be Nvidia and Physx capable. You are using ATI.

You can't SLI or Crossfire a Nvidia and an ATI.

Dedicated cards do not get SLI'd, they stand alone.

EDIT 2: There are ways around the lockout so you can use the Physx option.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273988-33-physx-card-xp64
Follow that and see if it helps.

I apologize that no one had mentioned there would be issues when we recommended your build. Though I did recommend a different card I didn't see you chose an ATI main.

Okay so the two of them I have them both installed and will just stand-alone. So they do not need to be connected if I am understanding you correctly. Will they both run properly as stand-alone? LOL sorry I know that is worded weird but I am just trying to make sure I have this done correctly before I start to do some wire management and close this up.

So basically I am guess I am trying to say the way I have them put in at the moment everything will be fine? I won't have to worry about having any problems assuming things are properly connected with either video card.

Thanks in advance.

You do not have to connect the two cards together. They should work as standalone cards although I have never used two cards so I do not know how that works.

Alright well I guess put it this way. If I close this up and try to install Win7 and what not will the graphics be messed up or will I just basically not be getting the use out of my PsyX card until I figure out a way around this? Should I just take out the GTS 450 until I better understand how to run the two?

Okay I guess what I am basically trying to ask is if I leave the PsyX GTS 450 installed on the motherboard with the ATI will my HD5870 still work alright and will the PsyX basically just not work until I find a way around it? Or do I have to uninstall the GTS 450 for the HD5870 to work properly? Ugh I am wording that wrong but I want my HD5870 to be my main video card if I leave both of them installed on the mobo will I have problems right away or will the HD5870 work fine and the PsyX will just basically not work, but be installed, until I figure out that way around it.

Ugh sorry I hope you got what I was trying to say Abstract. I really want to close this thing up but I don't know if I should take out this GTS 450 or just leave it in for now.

They DO NOT connect. They are 2 seperate types that ARE NOT compatible. Not to mention YOU DO NOT SLI a PhysX card. It stands alone.

Just to clarify ;)

I would get your system running without the PhysX card in and worry about that once your set up and comfy.

You will have to follow that thread I linked to get around the wall of ATI and Nvidia crossing. or get a new card.

My personal opinion is I would use the gts450 for now return the 5870 and get a Nvidia card. That's just what I would do because I wouldn't feel right forcing the cards like that.

You can work around this but it won't be a cake walk.

Okay well now I have a problem. I decided just to take the PsyX card out for the time being until I just got this first build under control and than later I could tinker with it and maybe get it to work. Anyways I went ahead and tried to fire the computer up. The motherboard is getting power because the CPU cooler is running, the video card is plugged into PSU and getting power, the Monitor is plugged in via DVI and it is saying no signal. Both the of DVD and Blu-Ray drives are working fine. I believe the HDD is working fine. I also can see that the PCI SSD has power. However saying all that I cannot get anything to come up on my monitor.

I am extremely discouraged I have worked on this for hours today and now to have this not working really sucks. I thought I had done it all right and followed all the right instructions but now I guess something is messed up somewhere. Please help... Any suggestions?

No I just tried turning it back on and off and didn't seem to hear and noticeable beeps. I mean I am like 99% sure I have all the wires hooked up properly. I really have no idea what is wrong or what to even do....

Now I'm starting to worry that my CPU or Video card is fried but I think my video card is working at least the fan seems to be. Maybe I guess the CPU is fried.... Ughhhh

Assuming you have a case speaker hooked up, take the ram out. Now turn it on and it should give you a continuous beep. If not, there may be a problem with the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom