New HDD disconnects on WakeUp

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi.
Recently I purchased new HDD – WD Green 2TB (WD20EARS), installed it, all fine.
But when I put the PC in the Sleep mode (S3), on the Wake Up, the HDD is disconnected – it disappears from the Device Manager, and “Add New Hardware” can't find it., regardless of the fact whether it is formatted or not

If I put PC into sleep again, the disc reconnects on the Wake Up.

This loop happens always.
On the Restart, the HDD is shown in bios and all is good. The issue happens only in Sleep mode.
Also, I updated all the drivers available for my mobo, reflashed the BIOS (to F6 version), al this does not changed a thing. In the BIOS the dics's SATA is configured to be in ACHI mode, as all other HDD drives in my PC (3 more, see signature), but only the new one is problematic

It is very annoying, because I mainly use Sleep mode instead of Shutdown.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, or to point on the malfunctioned HW, I'll be glad to hear

Thanks
-AndreiD

Hi.
Recently I purchased new HDD – WD Green 2TB (WD20EARS), installed it, all fine.
But when I put the PC in the Sleep mode (S3), on the Wake Up, the HDD is disconnected – it disappears from the Device Manager, and “Add New Hardware” can't find it., regardless of the fact whether it is formatted or not

If I put PC into sleep again, the disc reconnects on the Wake Up.

This loop happens always.
On the Restart, the HDD is shown in bios and all is good. The issue happens only in Sleep mode.
Also, I updated all the drivers available for my mobo, reflashed the BIOS (to F6 version), al this does not changed a thing. In the BIOS the dics's SATA is configured to be in ACHI mode, as all other HDD drives in my PC (3 more, see signature), but only the new one is problematic

It is very annoying, because I mainly use Sleep mode instead of Shutdown.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, or to point on the malfunctioned HW, I'll be glad to hear

Thanks
-AndreiD

Go to Control Panel>Hardware and sound>Power Options>Go to your current plan>Change Plan settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>Hard Disk - If it's set to turn off after a certain time, turn it to never or w/e and play around with the settings in there maybe. Let me know, If it doesn't work I'll try throw some more ideas for you.

Then again your other drives would be doing it, If it doesn't change it then it may be a strange drive and maybe needs RMAing.

I also have a similar problem, but I live with it, when I go into sleep mode, my fans stay running and my HDD Powers down, but pressing a button brings it back.

Power options are already set to "never turn off hard drives"

The sleep mode I'm talking about is S3 state - no power for HDDs, no power for fans, only a bit power for RAM memory to hold the data, even PSU's fan is off. The system is silent and looks like it is totally off. (except that memory isn't erased). So all discs shut down, and all must start spinning again on Wake, but only the new one remains disconnected, until I sleep>reawake it again.

Power options are already set to "never turn off hard drives"

The sleep mode I'm talking about is S3 state - no power for HDDs, no power for fans, only a bit power for RAM memory to hold the data, even PSU's fan is off. The system is silent and looks like it is totally off. (except that memory isn't erased). So all discs shut down, and all must start spinning again on Wake, but only the new one remains disconnected, until I sleep>reawake it again.

I'm not sure then, Someone more experienced will come along soon don't worry :big_smile: sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom