Help with deciding on a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha happy to spend some cash if i finally end up with a computer that wont lag out on me all the time

Do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers as well?
Also, just FYI, you WILL be overclocking this. And no, you don't have a choice in the matter :grin:
But seriously, it's a crime to not overclock an i7

ive been using a laptop for the past few years so ill need to grab a keyboard and monitor but i was already going to add that on top, checked out the overclocking thread by slay just before ... looks interesting ... i didnt know that it was possible to overwork the processor like that lol but it looks promising. just heading off to work now, ill check back when i get home.

cheers

CPU: i7 950
MOBO: P6X58D Premium
GFX:
RAM: 1600Mhz 6Gb Patriot Viper 2
HS: Noctua NH-U12P-SE2
CASE: Coolermaster Haf 932
PSU: Corsair TX750
HDD: Samsung 2Tb
SSD: Patriot Inferno SandForce SF-1222 120Gb
DVD: Asus Sata DVDRW
LCD: Acer G245Hbmid
KB/M: Microsoft 600

Total (so far): $1788

I left the GFX blank because MSY isn't stocking the GTX580 yet. There appear to be a few stores around your area though that are. Check here:
http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=GTX+580&spos=3

I wouldn't recommend going Crossfire or SLI, too much bother IMO. Just get yourself a good card and be done with it. Either the 5970 or GTX580 will do you fine, both perform about the same with the 5970 taking a slight lead. The 5970 will also cost you a little more tho. Your choice!

haha... thanks soul i get paid tomorrow so ill run up there and grab it all...is there a basic guide somewhere that i can use to help with assembly?

cheers

Basic guide as follows:
1. Unpack your motherboard and lay it on the anti-static bag it came in.
2. Install your memory, cpu and heatsink on the mobo while it's laying there all defenceless and easy to get to.
3. Unpack your case. Install the risers (standoffs)
4. Install PSU. Start thinking about where the cables need to go now, and route them accordingly. USE the massive space behind the motherboard tray that the HAF 932 offers.
5. Install the mobo and connect the front panel cables and fan power cables. Adjust the power cables as needed, remember be neat!
6. Install the hdds and sata cables for the hdds, and do the optical drive at this point as well.
7. Install the GFX card.
8. Do some final tidying in the case, make sure all the wires are ziptied and locked down where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom