new computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenna_AK

Solid State Member
I am looking into getting a new computer. I may eventually be wanting 2-3 computers in my house for different reasons - my husband, kids, and me.

for my kids, I have 3 of them and they all have autism. i was thinking of getting them a touchscreen computer and getting learning programs for them on the computer. and have them take turns at the computer.

I personally am looking into a mac, and my husbands computer - emachines, has gone gone caput. now, everytime I run dvdshrink, my I have to manually shut down the computer because everything freezes up, or I get teh famous windows blue screeen, lol. so I am seriously considering alternatives - mac or linux.

does anyone know about windows xp ( i have it) vs windows 7?
windows vs mac vs linux?

I like the idea of linux but i'm afraid of no telephone support.

I would loves some help and input into new computer.

also, anyone have any advice on a custom computer without blowing up the house?

You have come to the right place.

XP vs Win7 - no contest. Seriously. Win7 is just awesome (and I am no M$ fanboy by any means). And who needs phone support when you have Tech-Forums, anyway?

Linux - some swear by it but I have never been impressed by it. I use a couple of flavors on liveCDs for recovery work, but that's about it. The Linux community is like a grungy Mac community to me... elitists all.

If you are wanting a touchscreen then I would recommend going with an all-in-one model from HP or something along those lines.

Now, custom computers we know. Give us a budget, what parts you already have (keyboard, mouse, monitor, whatever), and what you want to do with it... then stand back.

Linux is rather nice. But do not use it if you are used to Windows. It has a different aspect, totally. There are ways to play Windows games on Linux, but it's not 100% foolproof.

With OSX (Macs), you need Apple hardware. Unless you go hackingtosh, with which we can not help you.

Windows 7 is the new cool kid on the block. It runs smoother than Vista ever did. XP is your grandpa. It is old and wrinkly.

The rest has been said best by Trotter.

okay, thanx. I have decided to upgrade my husbands computer for him. and i want to get a touchscreen computer for my kids. i have decided that windows 7 will be best. now I just have to look at some good computer desks, lol.

lol. I have to laugh at xp being a grandpa. thanx for the info. okay, I think I'll just stick with windows 7 and look more at the other specs. thanx.

I like teh idea of an all in one computer, but i'd prefer a tower and then a screen, that way I can do more diy care with my computer, like blowing out the dust so the fan can work. and also, if the screen goes bad, there goes my whole computer. I'm looking functionaliity of the computer also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom