CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
Newegg.com - CPU
----- Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm
----- Newegg.com - CPU Cooler

GPU: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 CrossFireX Support
Newegg.com - GPU

Mem: OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - Memory

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
Newegg.com - PSU

HDDs: OS/Apps: WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache
Newegg.com - WD Raptor
-------- Data Storage: WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
Newegg.com - WD 1TB

CD/DVD: ASUS Black CD/DVD Burner
Newegg.com - CD/DVD

I will be OC'ing (CPU to ~4.0GHz, don't know about other parts yet), therefore the CPU cooler.

I'm pretty sure that all the parts are hardware compatible, but what I'm really hoping for is some feedback on the quality of my choices, whether you'd advise some other product and why!

I'll be using this tower for mainly programming/gaming/personal servers.

Thanks a ton for any feedback I get, it's really appreciated!

i usually don't approve of MSI motherboards but that is one nice looking mobo lol.

if your overclocking and going with air, then id defiantly recommend this Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler its one of the high end cpu coolers and its real good too, someone just did a thread and compared the Corsair H70 to this and the air still beat is by a couple degrees.

as for the memory id go with some g.skill ripjaws Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM they seem to have better timings than the ones you chose for the same price, they also seem to be popular around here.

As far as the hard drive goes id go with a descent 60gb SSD and spend the rest on like a 640gb Caviar black , because the preformance between a caviar black 7200rpm and veloci raptor is not much but an ssd is and you wont spend more than you would on a single veloci raptor

other than that everything looks great, maybe someone can point you to a good SSD deal

Thanks for the reply!

I was looking into SSDs for a while, and my main problem with them is price.

Because I would probably use one as a OS or an OS/Apps drive, I would need a ~40g or ~200g drive, respectively. Because I have heard that the main advantage of having a SSD as an OS drive is the boot-speed, and considering the fact that I won't be booting too much, I don't see there being too much of a benefit.
However, if I used the ~200g one as an OS/Apps drive, I am betting that I WOULD get a major performance boost. However, it's really out of my price range :D

So, what's your take on SSDs? I could probably only afford an OS drive, so what would be the advantages of one, other than just boot-up?

I hope that made sense :)

Anyways, I'll look into your other suggestions on memory/cooler. Thanks again!

as for the memory id go with some g.skill ripjaws Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM they seem to have better timings than the ones you chose for the same price, they also seem to be popular around here.

Oh! And a question about the G.SKILL Ripjaws...

I saw under their specs that they are "Specifically Designed to compatible with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 for Intel P55 motherboard". Does this mean anything according to me using another type of mobo?

Forf a storage only drive, ditch the black and get the green. Its a bit cheaper and is designed as a storage drive.

What would be the difference in file-transfer speeds between the 5.4k RPM and the 7.2k RPM?

It might be worth it, but $20 isn't too much of an investment if it increases write-speed by a bit.

I really don't know a lot about AMD systems but I'm fairly confident that you'll want a better cooler than the Cooler Master to hit 4 GHz. The Corsair H70 is a good choice for your needs but it's fairly expensive, almost $120 after shipping Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler. The Noctua NH-D14 is also a good choice but saying it's large is an understatement. It is cheaper, but $95 is still expensive.

Corsair Hydro Seriesâ„¢ H70 - CWCH70

This would be a good choice at $85, Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

There are a lot more choices at FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies

Edit:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/fs-g-skill-60gb-phoenix-pro-ssd-sandforce-238732/

I really don't know a lot about AMD systems but I'm fairly confident that you'll want a better cooler than the Cooler Master to hit 4 GHz. The Corsair H70 is a good choice for your needs but it's fairly expensive, almost $120 after shipping Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler. The Noctua NH-D14 is also a good choice but saying it's large is an understatement. It is cheaper, but $95 is still expensive.

Corsair Hydro Seriesâ„¢ H70 - CWCH70

This would be a good choice at $85, Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

There are a lot more choices at FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies

Edit:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/fs-g-skill-60gb-phoenix-pro-ssd-sandforce-238732/

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll probably go with the Noctua or something similar.

Do you have any advice on the SSD issue I addressed above? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom