(Once Again) Please comment on my checklist for Custom rig Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwknight

Beta member
Hi I'm bulding a gaming rig and like everyone else I'd appreciate some input. Its mainly for high-end gaming (Mainly latest RTS), general use and some audio mixing (Cubase etc.). Here is my list:

Case - Coolermaster Elite 342
PSU - Gigabyte ODIN 585W 24-Pin Power Supply
3DC - Saphire HD 5870
Mobo - ASUS P7H55-M H55 LGA1156 Dual-Channel DDR3 PCI-E 2.0
CPU - i7 950 3.04Ghz
CPU Fan - Zalman CNPS7000C-AlCu CPU Cooler (With 1156 Attachment)
Ram - Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 2x2GB DDR3-1600 1.65v CL9
HDD - Seagate ST3500418AS Barracuda 500GB SATA2 7200rpm
DVD - Generic Samsung

I'm going to work overseas in a year and a halfs time so I intend to sell this PC by then, so Im not looking to do any serious upgrades or Crossfire. The only thing I plan to add later is another 4gb of ram and a Soundcard.
Now, since my wallet is stretched and screaming for mercy, I tried skimming a bit on the mobo. Would this Mobo hamper my peformance? Secondly Would I need a bigger PSU? Thirdly if I wanted to OC the CPU to 3.5Ghz or 4.0Ghz would my current cooling be ok? Any advice were I can save, or if you can point out that I'm skimming too much in a certain area would be welcome.

Thanks

first - get a better PSU like a Corsair HX650W

second - your CPU cooler is made for 1156 socket, the CPU you chose is 1366

Third - your Mobo is for a 1156 socket which is not compatible with the i7 950 which is 1366

fourth - if you are getting a 950 then you will need triple channel memory not dual channel

Don't skimp out on the mobo , if money is an issue, downgrade the GPU to a GTX 460 or even a GTx 470 and buy a better mobo, ESPECIALLY! if you are overclocking.

oh and i almost missed this but your Case is made for a micro-atx motherboard, you wont be able to fit that 5870 in there lol or the mobo. so go for like a HAF 922 if you like cooler master or even a 912

Sorry posted the wrong Mobo (pasted it from a list I forgot to update once I changed my mind and decided on an i7)
heres the one I'm leaning towards:

ECS X58B-A3 LGA1366 Triple-Channel DDR3 CrossFireX

Changing Ram to
Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G VALUERAM 4GB DDR3-1333 1.5v CL9

I'll take your advice about the PSU

The HAF cases are cool, but pricey, this seems cool (and with enough room)
Coolermaster Elite 430 Black (RC-430) Black Chassis with Window - No PSU

The CPU cooler has an optional 1366 attachment which Im getting. Though I'm still open to suggestion for something else.

Is this ok? If so, think I'll wait an extra month to pay for the new stuff

Thanks man, though thats a bit of a problem. I'm from South Africa so, only if Worldwide shipping is offered. Stuff Is pretty pricey on my side of the fence, but I'm odering my 3d Card off Ebay. If I convert my currency to dollars I'd be paying just over $600 for the same card here. I was planning to buy everything else locally at Prophecy.co.za, they really cheap to our standards but still expensive relative to the U.S. I'm happy buying everything except PSU and Case online. If you can find anything cheaper with a Worldwide shipping option you'd be a Saint.

Everything listed bellow is from my last post
Heres what I'm paying for my stuff (my local currency (Rand) converted to dollars U.S)

Case - $65
PSU Corsair HX650W - $185
Mobo - $280
Saphire 5870 - $385 (Off Ebay)
i7 950 - $314
Ram - $93
Still haven't decided on a CPU cooler (I'd like to OC to 4Ghz so any suggestions)

these guys seem to ship worldwide EXcaliberPC.com - Notebooks, Netbooks, Storage, Memory, Hardware, Networking and more! from what i hear

and these guys Wiredzone.com - Supermicro Server, Motherboard, Memory, Storage, Hard Drive, Peripherals.

Here are some motherboards that i recommend if you can find themp for cheap, it seems websites over in your country take advantage and charge like crazy.

Newegg.ca - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.ca - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

still cant belive that the 650HX is 185$ that's insane!

Btw your better off getting a 6870 and save some money to put towards a better mobo.

oh and before i forget you will need tripple channel memory , so 3gb , 6gb , 12gb the 950 is not made for dual chanel which is 4gb , 8gb etc... so 3 stick of ram instead of 2 you cannot use 4gb like you chose

Like Sniper said downgrade the graphics card and get a better mobo because since you are overclocking you will need a good mobo.
As for the CPU cooler, it depends on what you are comfortable with. Some people like air some like water.
I would say a Corsair H70...I use the H50 and the H70 may be a bit pricey but it will do you some good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom