laptop overheats when connected to projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

peroxid

Beta member
ok this is a rather odd problem. First of all I shall say that the cooling system of my laptop isn't working as it should, still this doesn't bother me too much, since I don't play games and/or see HD Movies.

So when I watch SD Movies the GPU stays at 80ºC, but when I watch a SD Movie, and the laptop is connected it raises to 120ºC in less that 20min. Anyone knows why connecting it to the projector heats so much the GPU?

Thanks in advance

Its probably having to work it more so its heating up.....

Try cleaning out the exhaust/intake. I used a ball pump and a vaccuum, by blowing in the exhaust, and sucking out the intake. It dropped my temps by 30C when gaming on mjy laptop... I had been shutting down prior to cleaning due to heat.

The GPU will work harder when displaying a higher resolution, but, it the resolution is close, or similar, chances are, the heat from the projector is influencing the laptop nearby, if possible, keep the two as far apart as possible.

Thanks for the replies.

I already cleaned it (with vacuum), so I guess the problem can't be because of that.

I use the same or lower resolution, so I don't understand why the gpu is working harder. Also the exhaust of the projector (i.e. where the heat comes out), is facing the opposite way, where the laptop is. And they are almost one meter distant from each other.

yes I need to do that, but i'm curious why connecting it to the projector the gpu works more, if its the same res

yes I need to do that, but i'm curious why connecting it to the projector the gpu works more, if its the same res

Because essentially, it has to output the image onto another device/screen, I don't exactly know how to explain it but yeah basically it makes it work harder haha, I'd reccomend putting some new paste on your GPU (but that might not need to be done) You could just get a laptop cooling pad.

Let me know :big_grin:

Changing the output to another screen doesn't increase heat, nor stress, unless it's a multi-display or higher resolution than you normally see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom