4 GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws 1.65V
2x 6870 XFX Radeons

50 degree C @3.8 but stable under prime 95
51 degree C @3.9 using the turbo unlock software
<using the bios now to push it to 4.0>

Rebooting going to try 4.0 pictures to follow :lol:

Edit: Failed at 4.0 after 4 tests. Not sure why either temps were only at 53 C

Pics stable at 3.9:

Any ideas on getting past that last hump?

Gordy, If I were you I wouldn't abuse that poor Phenom II X4 like that. really...
If the thing can't handle anything above 3.90ghz at 50c stable leave it alone man, some cpu's weren't made for that kind of abuse not unless you were a extreme overclocker and wanted to see your cpu live for 10 minutes.
The only way you might accomplish what you want is good proper cooling and dcent voltages, start off with tuniq x2 and artic freezer pro 7.

on my computer, my idle temp is 23*°C and my load temp is 35° and i CANNOT for the life of me get my 965 over 3.8ghz. it takes an insane amount of luck to get a 965 that will go over 3.8...

Alright I stressed it all night to finish the burn in and it seems to hold at 3.8. Now my idle temps are ugly compared to your 23 C Sean currently idle 36 C. I am content with 3.8 but I want that temp down a little at least to 30 so might back it off even more to 3.7 :(

Both video cards I have OC to 965 GPU and 1050 memory thats the best I am going to get. Their fans sound like huge jets taking off lol. In my personal opinion the 6870, at least overclock wise, has a really low ceiling. Was really thinking I could get the memory to 1100. So for me I think the 6850 is a better buy because you can OC those to 6870 speeds easy

Going to post a final benchmark with Heaven and then back everything off. I tried to set these clocks in a profile in bios but they wont save.

Mike do you think going with water might allow me to break into 4.0? I am content with the performance now but there is a piece of me that knows this chip can sit at 4.0 stable if I can get the temps down.

To be honest, no I don't think it will even if you tried water cooling and it worked temporarily you run the risks of causing it problems that it doesn't need.
I'm not going to lie you but I can push my system to 4.2ghz right now with my current ram it will be stable for about an hour, crash and downclock itself back to 3.4ghz.
Reason being ram voltages I have now aren't strong enough to handle that high clock speed right now, but the temps are very cold.
Right now newegg.com has the 1055T for 179.99 and 1099T for 229.00 I think they will hold steady until the middle of december.
Why not just look into a hexa core with a good over clock and see if your budget can handle it as well.

this is a perfect time for me to say...

i told you so :p

you shoulda gone with intel... ;)

oh and to add to what i said earlier, when i had my corsair H50, i put the radiator in a bucket of Dry ice, my idle temp was 5°C and load was about 11°C and i STILL couldnt go over 3.8ghz... take that for what you will. good luck bud!

i told you so

on my computer, my idle temp is 23*°C and my load temp is 35° and i CANNOT for the life of me get my 965 over 3.8ghz. it takes an insane amount of luck to get a 965 that will go over 3.8...
I think something is very wrong if a C3 stepping chip can't get 4GHz.
Almost any C2 stepping chip can get 3.8GHz 24/7.

What voltage are you using?
I do remember my M4A79XTD Evo board having a vdroop issue, which meant I had to put volts in BIOS higher than what I actually needed (and higher than it actually was).

You can easily run a Phenom II up to about 1.55V 24/7, just as long as temperatures don't get too high.

Also, Phenom II chips clock better the colder they get.
At 20ºC for instance, they don't need as much volts to remain stable than if they're at 50ºC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom