Can i run 1080p with this config. that i'm planing on buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rondeil

Solid State Member
I was planing on getting some stuff together and making myself a new pc, so I can be able to play full HD on it. So I only need it for watching 1080p movies and some video editing.

this is the conf:

MB Sapphire 785g am3 socket ddr3 1333MHz
CPU: AM3 Amd Athlon II x2 240 @ 2.8GHz +2MB L2 cache(I'm planing on overclocking to 3.4 at most)
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz( to be able to upgrade later because the mobo has only two 240pin DDR3 slots)
GPU: Integrated Ati HD 4200 (40 stream processors, 500Mhz clock, 512MB shared ram memory)
Audio Integrated 6 Ch realtek.
HDD: Serial ATA 2 Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm 32MB cache
Samsung p2370 full HD 2ms

I know the monitor doesn't count as an plus or minus to this configuration performance but it was the thing that made me want to watch 1080p in the first place.

The Motherboard has HDMI input so thats pretty good to, and the gpu is as silent as it can be, having physical cooler .

So im not asking for high-end.. or for that matter, any-end games at all . Im just asking for HD 1080p smooth playback.
I know it's pretty low-budget but thats all i can cope with for now.

And if this conf isn't enough what should i change/upgrade.(particulary the gpu, it's the thing i'm most doubtful about.)

Since i haven't worked with any amd hardware, any help would be highly appreciated.

(If the IGP is not enough, I might be able to get the HD 4650, will it do the trick?)

Rondeil.

Just to let you know if you're going to be doing any video editing it helps to have an actual graphics card and not use the integrated graphics on your motherboard, because they are pretty much completely useless for anything. I'm not sure what you're budget is but I would suggest just buying an ATI 5770 for a good cheap GPU.

The answer is yes, the integrated graphics should be able to suffice for that purpose, ( But it'll also put more load on the CPU, so If I were you. i'd upgrade to a triple core athlon or even a quad ) But it's reccomended for you to get a dedicated card for video editing.

What if I overclock the cpu, to some 3.6 GHz? will it help for the editing?
If not, is AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core 955 good?

My bugdet is some 450$.

Thanks for your replies.

Rondeil

What if I overclock the cpu, to some 3.6 GHz? will it help for the editing?
If not, is AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core 955 good?

My bugdet is some 450$.

Thanks for your replies.

Rondeil

You would suffice with an athlon X4 or X3, Overclocking would help a little, but not much. I'll get you some links to them:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

or the phenom x4 955:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

The only difference between the quad phenom and the athlon is that the athlon is "Crippled" so to speak, It has much less cache.

If you need anymore information/Further explaining don't hestiate to ask mate.

Hope I cleared it up for you.

** P.S I saw that you didn't list a power supply, which do you play on purchasing/do you have? **

Thanks for the links, I'll summarize what i need before choosing one of these.
And about the PSU, i have low quality Deluxe 500W, I think it will be good enough for now.

Thanks.

Rondeil.

Thanks for the links, I'll summarize what i need before choosing one of these.
And about the PSU, i have low quality Deluxe 500W, I think it will be good enough for now.

Thanks.

Rondeil.

let us know what you do, Try get a good branded power supply as soon as money allows, You don't want to skimp on PSU's. good brands such as Corsair, OCZ, Antec, Seasonic etc.

I doubt I can find one of those brands here where i live. I can get decent GlacialTech here though for some 90$, if this one has problems.
here are the specs of the GT:

PSU 650W GlacialTech Intelligent Real Power
* ATX12V Version 2.2
* Design with active PFC function
* Dual +12V rails and +5Vsb capability 15 W
* Full output power from 0°C to 50°C
* Full protection features of SCP, OVP, OCP, OPP, OTP
* Power efficiency meet Energy Star 80 plus program criterion
* Fan speed control and delay shut down to extend components life time
* Fan switch off (0 dBA) at low load and selectable between 8cm and 12cm
* RoHS compliance
* Manufactured with high reliability and in strict processes

Is it any good?

I doubt I can find one of those brands here where i live. I can get decent GlacialTech here though for some 90$, if this one has problems.
here are the specs of the GT:

PSU 650W GlacialTech Intelligent Real Power
* ATX12V Version 2.2
* Design with active PFC function
* Dual +12V rails and +5Vsb capability 15 W
* Full output power from 0°C to 50°C
* Full protection features of SCP, OVP, OCP, OPP, OTP
* Power efficiency meet Energy Star 80 plus program criterion
* Fan speed control and delay shut down to extend components life time
* Fan switch off (0 dBA) at low load and selectable between 8cm and 12cm
* RoHS compliance
* Manufactured with high reliability and in strict processes