How do I format/partition my SSD please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC that was required for older first gen SSDs like mine when your first doing an install. Newer ones like the one you have dont require that. And i just let Windows do its little 100MB system partition dealie and all is well with my setup.

Thanks PP Mguire, I used Windows command prompt to set up the SSD and it worked just fine.

Use GParted and you won't have that 100MB partition. It does it on any drive, Mguire.

Formatting a SSD is the same as any HDD.

I tried to use Gparted 3 times. Each time after using it Windows command prompt would not permit me to set up the SSD. Some message like not enough room or something like that.

It sounds like your over-complicating the whole thing. With Windows 7 it's easy. When you get to the screen to select the drive, just select your SSD and then select the button labeled "new". It will create 2 partitions, the "Main" partition that you install Windows 7 to and a 100MB partition Reserved for the System. Click "Next".

I think Sanitary Erase is the program farinha meant. But you don't need to use Sanitary Erase with a new drive. If you need to re-install Windows it is recommend to run Sanitary Eraser. But Sanitary Erase will wipe the drive clean, so back-up all your personal files. Sanitary Erase clears every data block on the drive restoring it, as close as it can, to it's factory released condition. Every data block has a limited number (undetermined at this time) of times that it can be written to. If a block has been written to a 100 times Sanitary Erase can't change that.

You can use AS-SSD Benchmark to check your disk alignment. You don't have to run the benchmark through it's tests, you just have to start it. If your alignment is Good it will say OK, where I've highlighted in red.
alignment.jpg

Is your drive a Agility or is it a Agility2?

Slay, thanks for the screen shot. I will try that software. I have an Agility 2. I've tried several times to upgrade the firmware from 1.22 to 1.24 using the exact instructions from OCZ, but it just won't work. Not sure why. Presently everything seems to be working well on it. I just ran the AS-SSD and received the OK, so thanks for helping me see if everything is aligned!

Does GParted align partitions correctly on SSDs?

Not sure PJ! I only know that after using Gparted to make a partition, Windows command prompt would not permit me to set up the SSD. Had to do it through Windows. I'm sure I was missing something or did not know what I was doing. Gparted has been my favorite ever since Mak told me about it.

Thanks everyone for your good advice and input. I'm learning a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom