CPU Fan, what's typical RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lev, I'm using the stock Intel Heatsink/Fan that went with my 3.2ghz CPU. I was getting ready to order the heatsink tonight, here's the link. I think someone else, perhaps even on this site, recomended it.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-042&depa=0

If you have a better suggestion, especially AT or LESS then that price, let me know :)

You think the thermal paste would help? Where can I buy that stuff at? My heatsink just had a thin strip of thermal tape.

Also, any tricks to applying the paste? Or is that covered in the material when you buy it?

That heatsink/fan should serve you just fine. Here is a link to the thermal paste on newegg.com : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-007&depa=0
Read some of the reviews, it'll lower full load temps by quite a bit. And it has enough to put on about 5-10 processors at least. All you do is clean up your heatsink and processor and then put a little bit on the processor. Then take a credit card or something and spread it out on the processor. It should cover the whole CPU, but only be a paper thin coat. This helps transfer heat very well. It takes a bit to "break in" but you'll see an improvement immeditely. If you are short on $$$, order the thermal compund first, and truley, your temps are bad, they are average. You can not do damage until you hit 65-70C anyways. But, if you plan on overclocking, you need a new fan/heatsink. That is my advice. Any questions?

Thanks, lev. I'm going to order the paste right now. I'd like to see how it works with my old combo first, but I do plan on buying a new heatsink/fan combo.
You really don't think my temperatures are dangerous? A friend of mine that is a CompUSA PC tech said that at that temperature if I don't fry the CPU I'm going to takes years off its life. Kind of freaked me out, I didn't think it was that hot :/

I dont wanna dawg your friend, but he is sadly mistaken. PM me your email and I will send you a pic that lists the temp limits of all AMD and Intel Processors. I see yours as around 69-73C on the list. That is Intels tesing as well, so it is correct. But pretty much anything in the mid 50s is ok. When you get close to 60C, then you need better cooling, as then you will cut down on its life span. But honestly, a CPUs life span is over 10years of constant operation. That is why ppl OC without worrying. Do you think 2-4years off the life span will bother you? No, in less than 5 years, most ppl will have a completely different computer, because in 5 years, our current rigs will suck! Not that your friend is dumb, but he is probably telling you what he was told to tell customers. THat is not always the real truth. CompUSA is not gonna tell you you are ok at 60C, cause some guy is gonna push that and fry his processor and then say "CompUSA says it was fine, I want my money back." So no worries...unless you are having problems with stablity. The thermal compund will cut about 2-5C off your max load temp. And if you get the heatsink and fan you showed me, you can expect to be setting at about 45C max load at least. Even with my fan on silent, I never go above 50C and idle (web surfing) at 39-41C. So in a nut shell, if you do nothing to your cooling situation, you are still fine.

Thanks, Lev. When I went into my BIOS and saw 140 fahrenheit as the lowest shut down temp I could select I sort of figured my temps couldn't be all that bad. I appreciate all the information. I oredered the thermal paste. Since you seem to know quite a bit about cooling, what do you think of this heatsink/fan combo? Nice price.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556058137.html

I dont know that brand well, so I wouldnt recommend it. Go with what you had early in this post.

A friend of mine that is a CompUSA PC tech
Yes not to also dawg on your friend, but theres the problem right there......he really probably knows about 20% of troubleshooting a computer. There is no such thing as an educated CompUSA Technical support engineer I guess you could say. Same goes with best buy, dell, peoplePC, any place like that...they are taught basic things like 'Hit the power switch...if it doesnt come on...tell the customer they got a virus and need to reformat and charge them $80 for it"

You can dawg the guy! lol It's not like he's hear reading this, and if he is, well, he should be man enough to admit he was wrong.

I've had a few PC problems in the past and he gave me his opinion of what was wrong, he always guessed some hardware issue, it always ended up being a simple software fix. If I keep hanging around all you tech gurus I'll be able to hold my own one day!

Besides, when I bought a new mobo for my second PC a couple months ago that cost $45, and CompUSA wanted to charge me some crazy installation fee, the cost was at LEAST what I paid for the board, I think more, I said, hey, if they can do it, so can I, and if I screw up the board, I'll buy another!!! Sure enough, all went well and I learned a lot.

And lev, thanks again. I'll try this thermal paste and just order the first heatsink/fan combo.

Cool, no problem. Ya, just hang around here, and read lots of posts. You will learn a lot. And start messing with your comp some when you fell comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom