Ok my build and .... a great deal on a I7 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordylll

In Runtime
Alright here is what I currently have settled on going to do the pickup at Microcenter today but waiting to order from the egg until I get some feedback here:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100280SR Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card 5970 Hemlock *Sean I went with this over the 6870 x2 ONLY because the egg and microcenter are out of stock on the 6870 I want. All they had were the low OC black editions and I refuse to pay someone else to OC my cards*

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply Power Supply

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! Case + Cpu cooler

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! Board + Windows

Micro Center - Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Boxed Processor 865204 I7 950 for 199.99 .... seriously :lol:

Micro Center - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM 751230 500 GB x2. Will be getting an SSD once the black friday comes around

Micro Center - Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL8 Triple Channel Memory Kit (Three 2GB Memory Modules) TR3X6G1600C8D G $$ saved on the processor went here.

Before rebates total cost of the build including shipping: 1738.83
After rebates: 1678.83

Comments, concerns, you need to stick to consoles dude comments all welcome lol

I would get a powerful PSU in case you want to add a second 5970.
Why get two 500GB HDD and not one 1TB HDD? Are you planning to RAID 0? If you're going to buy a SSD I would get a 1TB HDD since with RAID 0 the probability of loosing your data is bigger, unless you're going RAID 1.

So check this out I found 2 HIS 6870's, bumped the power supply to 950 (after rebate it was the exact same price as the 850 watt). I was going to raid 0 with the 2 HDD but I took your advise and switched to a 1TB Spinpoint. Once I have my SSD next week I will pickup another 1 TB and run in raid 1. Was concerned about performance but I think a 120 GB SSD will have room for OS + the 2 or 3 programs I wanted the performance increase on. Thanks!!!

Now the bad news ... so before they deployed me I moved my family and built a house. Well they had my old phone # listed on the account still .... so after I submitted it they flagged it for fraud (I put in the wrong # :( ). Waiting on a CS rep to call me back but it could take 1-8 business days to have it rectified lol. I am sad but its not their fault I am actually somewhat glad they take that approach on security.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way much appreciated and I plan on taking pictures. @Slaymate if you read this I need suggestions on a water cooler setup. I want to push these 6870's but I have been reading that without water their ceiling is very low. I know that I7 will OC even on air to what I need it for but the video cards are what worries me

Ok finished build with Pics:
965 X4
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
4 GB Ripjaws
2x 6870 XFX
coolermaster silent pro modular
HAF 932

I hope I can post these right
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - photo1jb.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - picture2c.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - picture3f.jpg

First things that computer cooler was a pain to get on the clip just did not want to set correctly but I was able to get it locked. The case is absolutely amazing. They really thought that design out. As you can see plenty of room behind the motherboard plate to hide your wires.

2x 6870's are a very tight fit on this board with that power supply at the bottom. You lose access to all those nice buttons on the motherboard (OC button, reset, Go, and Core Unlocker) if nothing else the lights look really cool because you can get to all that stuff in the bios. The bios for the little bit I have played with are set up great. Had to move the voltage up on my RAM because it auto detected at 1333 no biggie.

2.4k score with heaven on normal settings no AA. Then I maxed everything out and crashed at the end (I think heat on the cards, going to back them off a bit). I have pushed the cards to 965 MHZ and 1050 on the memory and with the exception of the prime test they have handled well. The catalyst drivers that are current are very nice no issues (which I honestly dreaded). Just running prime right now probably going to run it overnight and check temps in the morning. Probably play with the ROG connect a bit as well. Next stop best buy for 2 monitors. Wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out with this 4 months ago.

Ok finished build with Pics:
965 X4
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
4 GB Ripjaws
2x 6870 XFX
coolermaster silent pro modular
HAF 932

I hope I can post these right
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - photo1jb.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - picture2c.jpg
ImageShack: Host and Share your Photos and Videos - picture3f.jpg

First things that computer cooler was a pain to get on the clip just did not want to set correctly but I was able to get it locked. The case is absolutely amazing. They really thought that design out. As you can see plenty of room behind the motherboard plate to hide your wires.

2x 6870's are a very tight fit on this board with that power supply at the bottom. You lose access to all those nice buttons on the motherboard (OC button, reset, Go, and Core Unlocker) if nothing else the lights look really cool because you can get to all that stuff in the bios. The bios for the little bit I have played with are set up great. Had to move the voltage up on my RAM because it auto detected at 1333 no biggie.

2.4k score with heaven on normal settings no AA. Then I maxed everything out and crashed at the end (I think heat on the cards, going to back them off a bit). I have pushed the cards to 965 MHZ and 1050 on the memory and with the exception of the prime test they have handled well. The catalyst drivers that are current are very nice no issues (which I honestly dreaded). Just running prime right now probably going to run it overnight and check temps in the morning. Probably play with the ROG connect a bit as well. Next stop best buy for 2 monitors. Wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out with this 4 months ago.

Nice build man, Nice to see people still going with AMD ;).

Pure jealousy right now hehe :big_smile:

Very clean... small wire messeyness at the pci-e cables, but right nice.
Thanks man! I tried but I ran out of steam + patience + beer so I gave up. Going to grab some sleeves today to see if that helps that area at all. I still want to OC this processor to 3.8 BUT I am currently trying to find a monitor with a Display port. Seems noone even knows what I am talking about and try to sell me crap with just HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom