Benefits of faster hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamloco724

In Runtime
i have an older pc about 4-5 years old not a dual core system..i dont have the money to fully replace this system right now..but i do think i need to replace the hard drive soon based on various symptoms so i rather be safe then sorry and thats not to much money to put into this pc

my question is what are the benefits of a faster hard drive or newer hard drive

this is the drive in my pc right now Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

and im looking to replace it with this Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive or this Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

will i notice and performance improvements with either of these drives if so what exactly

The benefits are faster load times, faster boot times ect. If your willing to shell the cash on a Velociraptor i suggest just getting a good SSD and using the older 250 drive as a large programs drive. With an SSD you have all of the above mentioned items except quicker response time, less heat and noise, and much quicker load and boot times. Going from an older Caviar to a newer black drive your basically upgrading to a drive with a bigger cache.

thanks for the response...so with the black drive it wouldnt be as significant as an upgrade compared to the raptor or a ssd?..i know a good amount about all of this just some technical things i still dont know..like what does a bigger drive cache help

Faster access times and speeds to data that is stored in the cache. An SSD would be much faster and more responsive than a raptor not to mention alot less heat.

Read around, Mguire. I read that 8MB cache does not perform faster than a 32MB cache. The only way it would write faster, If you get a 10k RPM.

I have a samsumg HD with 16mb of cache and 7200rpm... for me is very faster.... principally beacause I keep it with no duplicates using the duplicatefilesdeleter software and I also perform disk Defrag of windows, and disk clean of windows.... with this tips, the disk will have great performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom