CPU Fan, what's typical RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
My CPU has been running pretty hot. I've ordered a new heat sink and fan, but I was wondering what the typical RPM is on a CPU fan? Mine seems to be hanging at 2500RPM. I'd think it would need to run faster but there is no way to change it in BIOS. Are CPU fan speeds typically locked? I thought I was able to turn up the RPM via the BIOS on a friends PC...

Most mid-range and cheaper fans have only one setting. Nice fans will be adjustable. 2500rpm is normal for a stoock P4 fan. And the P4 stock cooling sucks. My fan is adjustable from about 1500rpm to 5700rpm and anywhere inbetween. I also have a case fan that has three settings, bout 1500, 2200, and 3000.

im not sure what you mean by pretty hot,i have a p4 2.8 800mhz fsb on a msi 655 max and my stock fan runs between 3100 and 3300 rpms and my temp is 35 celsius,not sure how much that is in farenheit

That is a good temp for your processor. Mine stays around 39C, but I have an ABit mobo, which tends to make processor a little hotter. And why do you think your computer is weak (sig), it looks good to me. I dont know about the 9700Pro, but if you are running at 800MHz FSB and with 2G of ram (hopefully DDR400) you should be having no probs running anything out there.

actually i didnt think my computer was weak until i joined this forum today and saw the bad @$$ machines these guys are running..although i tend to think some may just be blowing smoke,but thats just my opinion,and no,my comp has no problems,i can play any game i want on it,but mostly i just surf the web..i might play a game once a month or so...im thinking bout selling this and downsizing

Holy crap, you dont game alot with that machince?!??!?! You should downsize! You can build a fast net worthy machine for $500!!! I dont know if I would sell it though, maybe just sell a hard drive and a gig of that ram. If you sell it, let me know, I may want a gig of that ram, depending on the kind and such!

AHA!!!..i was able to switch the settings..now its 95 degrees farenheit...i have alot of stuff that i dont even know what its for on this computer,like blue tooth..whats that? and optical spdif?

By hot, the PC idles at 41 celcius. I have seen it up to 54 celcius, which is roughly 130 degrees fahrenheit. I think that is the hottest it has been up to. I ordered a new copper heatsink to get rid of this crummy intel stock fan. If the fan would run another 1000 RPMs faster, I'm sure the temperature would drop. I even keep the side of the case off, and have two fans.

Hey, for anyone reading this, if I plugged the CPU fan into the fan1 slot on my motherboard do you think it could be adjusted up in RPMs that way? Or is this fan just a giant peice of crap.

No, you can not adjust it period. That is determined by the fan, not where you have it plugged in. And it is not crappy, it is just standard. 54C is not bad either. If that is the hottest it gets, you are good. And if you want the cheapest solution, buy some Artic Silver 5 thermal grease. Put a paper thin layer on you cpu between it and the heatsink and your temps will drop a few degrees just like that. What heatsink did you order? And what fan are you gonna put on it? Post a link if you can.

Oh an pcparts...., bluetooth is an update software for devices such as cd burners i think...and spdif is an optical audio in or out. That is for audio connections with optical cables,...I dont use them, if you want high quality, use digital anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom