Temp Advice - i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i feel i owe some people an apology

I setup to record myself, changed the thermal compound, put the Heatsink back on. Felt like it was on good. Booted up the pc and i seen the bios flash and the temp said 50°c and i freaked out. got into windows and it was reading 100°c so i shut it down. checked and it was not fastened properly.

cleaned and reapplied a SMALL amount on TC (Half a grain of raw rice)

made sure it was on correct. (double checked)

rebooted into windows and was back to the normal temps i have been seeing. But it got me thinking....it was sooo hot because the Heatsink wasn't dissipating heat. so my test before (No fan test) would make sense because the heat has to get to the Heatsink before the fan can do its job

so i did a little test :)

Ran Prime95, was getting about 75-80's, Then i pushed on the 4 pins that connect the Heatsink to the motherboard creating a tighter connecting, and viola! temps dropped to 68-73's on 100% load

i think the stock Heatsink is crap, obviously

but i think mine is not as tight as it should be.

So to the people who suggested buying a after market cooler. Ty - Never should have doubted you haha

I'm buying a new rig next month anyways so i don't think i'll invest more than $20 in a new cooler, but i'll have a rig for sale if anyone is interested haha

Yes i'll be asking advice on the stuff i have in my newegg cart. i'm just figuring out how big i wanna go

lol glad you got things sorted. With the stock HS, it 'clicks' in but you can still push it down more and tighten it more. IMO if you're buying another rig soon, don't bother getting an aftermarket HS now. 68-73 is fine. What I *would* suggest is picking up a stick of TX-2, apply some of that and your temps should go down a few more degrees. Then when you get your new rig you'll still have some TX-2 left

Why are you going to buy a new PC? I would just upgrade the one you already have a little.

Glad you got it figured out :thumbsup:

Now that I think about why I wanted to fully rebuild in the first place kinda goes away because it was from the ram not running in 1600 an the CPU heat. The ram runs fine when I OC
And I want to OC but the heat issue was preventing me from doing so

I think I'll just invest in upgrades

I'm waiting for the GTX 560-570s to hit in December

Maybe go with the cooler I've been wanting ( corsair h70 )

New case and some other goodies

Thanks again everyone!

From my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom