Mobo comparison...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent40

Baseband Member
I was thinking about putting a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe ($175) mobo paired with an Pentium 4 Prescott 3E GHz ($190).

But now that I think about it, I do not want to have to upgrade again because of PCI-E and DDR2 and such being new technology. So now I am thinking of either a Asus P5AD2 Deluxe 925X P4 ($225) paired with either a P4 Prescott 3.4 ($277) or a P4 Prescott 3.2 ($217).

Someone recommended a GIGABYTE GA-8GPNXP (~$200). Would the ASUS P5AD2 or the GIGABYTE GA-8GPNXP be a better investment?

Also, I was planning on getting a Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB AGP for the video card, but someone also recommended if I get a PCI-E mobo to get the X700 Pro 256 PCI-E. Anyone have a recommendation over these two?

it's fundamentally your choice to get the newest technology. There is not doubt it will be competetive for longer, but it does cost more, if it were me, i would spend a bit more and get the new stuff.

i have never had an Asus or Gigabyte motheboard, so i can't really give you a recommendation, look for reviews as they normally show the good and bad points of both products.

as for the video card, i wouldn't buy either of the two you mentioned, i would instead get an Nvidia 6600GT which is PCI-E it outperforms the X700XT and beats the 9800Pro also. if you do end up going for the 9800Pro get the 128Mb version as it will perform better than the 256Mb version.

why will d 9800pro 128mb perform better than the 256mb version? shouldn't it perform better?

I would definitely go with the P5AD2.

The ASUS can overclock quite nicely. Check this out.

You should also get the PCI-E card rather than the 9800. I haven't seen any benchmarks comparing the new series of video cards from ATi and nVidea (x600, x700, and 6600). So, I don't know which one to recommend for you :confused:

Also,

why will d 9800pro 128mb perform better than the 256mb version? shouldn't it perform better?

It doesn't seem logical, but it somehow benchmarks higher :)

I am looking at similar motherboards as you, but NOT the Gigabyte, as their boards can be a little pissy at your RAM and other stuff, and some of their boards are known to crash frequently, here is what I am looking at, and I can't decide either (I'll post something similar to this to see also...)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-505&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-144&depa=0

Thats what I was looking at...
Yan

Agent40 said:
I was thinking about putting a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe ($175) mobo paired with an Pentium 4 Prescott 3E GHz ($190).

But now that I think about it, I do not want to have to upgrade again because of PCI-E and DDR2 and such being new technology. So now I am thinking of either a Asus P5AD2 Deluxe 925X P4 ($225) paired with either a P4 Prescott 3.4 ($277) or a P4 Prescott 3.2 ($217).

Someone recommended a GIGABYTE GA-8GPNXP (~$200). Would the ASUS P5AD2 or the GIGABYTE GA-8GPNXP be a better investment?

Also, I was planning on getting a Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB AGP for the video card, but someone also recommended if I get a PCI-E mobo to get the X700 Pro 256 PCI-E. Anyone have a recommendation over these two?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe with a Pentium Prescott 550 (or maybe 560 if I'm feeling lucky :)) and think I'll research the video cards a little more before I decide between the ATI X700 and nVidia 6600.

bah asus is horrible...good luck with that. I'm not saying you WILL have problems but I've helped a lot of people with bum ASUS boards compared to MSI or ABit.......go with the 6600 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom