This is why i never build..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjm0827

Baseband Member
Put everything together and it seemed to by running just fine... Well I have been trying to install drivers and what not and randomly I lose video signal and my system just seems to freeze. Every build something happens like this I can never seem to resolve the issue.. Any idea? I don't have another PC that I can pull parts from and test components. Also, the Asus wireless adapter I bought which is suppose to be wonderfully wont connect to my network 95% of the time and when it does it's beyond stone age slow so I can't download any utilities to test ram etc..

Amd Phenom x3 740, Sapphire 5770, GeIL Black Dragon 2GBx2, ASRock M3A770DE, Win7 Ultimate. The PC seems to run great, all fans spinning, CPU idles around 35. Now that i think about it, all 3 crashed are while I am installing something. 1st was initial Win7 install, then mobo drivers, then Dragon Age. I unplugged the monitor and plugged into other DVI port, turned it on/off and didn't change. No lights on tower blinking so it seems the system just froze... I found MemTest on a USB drive and I am running it now. 7mins in and 0 errors. The PSU is a SeaSonic 520w by the way, Bronze certified so I doubt it's that.

Swap out the PSU first as I have read of some being bad. You would be surprised at what all a faulty PSU can cause.

Verify that you are running your RAM in dual channel. My CPU had a faulty memory controller but I didn't catch it because the mobo manual had a misprint. Everything uses memory and goes through the CPU, so if it is bad it screws everything up.

You are using a bottom of the barrel mobo, so that could be a part of your troubles, too. Would you drop a crappy overhauled motor into a car you just restored? NO! But people want to skimp out on mobos for some reason...

That's the problem, I can't swap anything out.... I don't have another desktop laying around. The Mobo isn't great but this is a budget build, that was what was in my budget. I have reseated the GPU and Ram, along with all wiring, I pray that fixes it....but that would just be too easy. Could wrong voltages in the BIOS cause something like this? I am about to start checking what they should be. After 15 mins of MemTest no errors...then I crashed.

No I haven't played with them. After i reseated everything PC came on but nothing on-screen.. Reseated everything again and booted fine. I'm running Prime95 at the moment. Doing TortureTest and it's on Test9. I selected the option where it tests everything. CPU temp is slowly rising, after 15mins I am at 44C. I am watching voltages on the 3.3, 5 and 12V rails and they aren't changing...maybe .002 or so rarely. Could a faulty HDD cause this? Using a Samsung F4 320gb.

Double-check your RAM voltages. Depending on which version of RAM you got, it needs to run at either 1.5V or 1.6V. you should be able to set it in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom