DDR3 1600, or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your Vcore still set on auto? For a 3.2Ghz OC you should probably set it to 1.25v to be stable. Your temps shouldn't really go over 80C for that kind of OC either.
As to why it's crashing when you set the ram to 1600Mhz while at stock, I'm not sure. Might be a limitation on your motherboard...lemme check...

edit: nope, your mobo can def handle everything ok. hmmm...
ram voltage is good, everything else is at stock...hmmm...

Got a quick video on the way, maybe it will show something i can't explain over text.

I appreciate your help, this is bugging the crap out of me. so far as i have a new mobo / ram sitting in a newegg cart haha

hahaha, I got a nice lol :p

Ok, change your uncore manually to 3200Mhz after you've set the 1600mhz for your ram. Change your QPI to 6400GT

Tried that, no go :(

Also i noticed when i go back into my Voltage settings, (After setting it to 1.66V) it shows it running at something like 1.72-1.74V - i think we're missing something lol

From Tomshardware

"Core i7 920 and 940 will offer the two memory multipliers, 6 and 8. Together with the internal chip base clock of 133 MHz, that gives us memory speeds of DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066. The Core i7 965 will support the multipliers 10 and 12, giving user the option of installing faster DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 RAM.

If you want to run your memory at faster speeds on the lower-end Core i7 models, you'll have to overclock the CPU's FSB."

this seems exactly how my chip is working. the only way i can "run" with 1600, is when i change the cpus FSB and 1600 becomes a natural option (not underclocked, not overclocked)

Nope, that ain't it. Your mobo is capable running 1600Mhz and higher if you overclock. The 920s can handle it fine ;)
You can also try setting your Command Rate to 2T (or 1T if it's at 2T already)

Oh, change the vcore to 1.2V, the VTT to 1.2V, the PLL to 1.8V
And disable Intel SpeedStep

Can you post up a quick vid of all the options in your BIOS?

When I get home today I'll post up exactly how I've got my system configured (my secondary PC has a 920 and 1600Mhz ram too)

From Tomshardware

"Core i7 920 and 940 will offer the two memory multipliers, 6 and 8. Together with the internal chip base clock of 133 MHz, that gives us memory speeds of DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066. The Core i7 965 will support the multipliers 10 and 12, giving user the option of installing faster DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 RAM.

If you want to run your memory at faster speeds on the lower-end Core i7 models, you'll have to overclock the CPU's FSB."

this seems exactly how my chip is working. the only way i can "run" with 1600, is when i change the cpus FSB and 1600 becomes a natural option (not underclocked, not overclocked)

My 920 will run the memory at 1600MHz at stock settings. I have tried a few bios that did screw with the multiplier causing problems. You may want to try the last bios before the 980X was released. The newest bios isn't always the best one. With my Classified mobo all the bios releases before the 980X were optimized for the "4 core" i7's. Once the 980X was released they've came out with a slew of new bios versions optimized for the 980X that just don't work well for my 920 system.

With Turbo
1600mhz.jpg

Without Turbo
nt1600mhz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom