Crash, possibly due to Halo 2 Vista (not sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashProject

Solid State Member
Note: I would have put this under "PC Gaming" but I figured it is too technical a question for that forum.

I am a huge Halo fan and I finally got my hands on a copy of Halo 2 for Windows Vista, although my computer runs Windows 7 on it. The game runs mostly just fine, except I remember the first time running it it would freeze up for about 20 seconds, the screen would go black for about 10 seconds, then finally the game would resume.

But one time when I was playing, the screen got this strange, interlaced pattern (alternating "strips" where the image was skewed horizontally) for about 1 or 2 seconds before displaying the blue screen of death. For the whole time, the audio skipped/repeated as if buffering, and I could hear it still even after the blue screen.

It is, however, important to note that this interlaced pattern followed by blue screen problem occurred once before, when I was booting up my computer and it had just entered the welcome screen. Restarting fixed the problem, as did the Halo 2 incident, but I'm afraid to play Halo 2 again for fear of it screwing up my computer. I did read that problems have been reported regarding running Halo 2 Vista on Windows 7, but most seemed to be simple "it won't let me install" problems. In my case, it seems to run fine save for those three incidents, although I am afraid to run it again.

I am using an ATI Radeon HD graphics card, a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and an AMD Phenom II processor, and as I said before I am running Windows 7, 64-bit. Please help, I only just got this computer custom built for me a week ago, and it cost me over $1700 to build it. Last thing I want is to deal with hardware problems!

Ok, take a breather for a minute, first thing is first what exactly are your specs ?
We know you have a phenom II a ATI HD graphics card and sound blaster audigy card...
Now we what need is the model type version number ?

Go to start, navigate to my computer, right click, hit properties and go to device mananger.
By each device such as such graghics card, processor and sound hit the tab on the left marker and it will show and post back.

Or, take a screen shot by pressing the printscreen button on your keyboard with the window open, crop it, save to imageshack and post it back up here.

Simple... ;)

I would doubt that it is solely tied to Halo 2 being installed. As i have that same game and played through it 3 times using Win7 at various stages of development. I would look more toward ATi having driver issues as they have been notorious for with Win7 over the fact Halo 2 is installed.

I would doubt that it is solely tied to Halo 2 being installed. As i have that same game and played through it 3 times using Win7 at various stages of development. I would look more toward ATi having driver issues as they have been notorious for with Win7 over the fact Halo 2 is installed.

What he said. Yep. It's most likely a driver issue or heat causing your video card to artifact like that.

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI Express 16x dual head, HDMI
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache
Windows: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

(Taken directly from my computer's spec sheet)

I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue, and I know it's not Halo's fault (it happened again last night when playing a different game,) so I wonder what it is. Thanks for all the input by the way, I'm determined to solve this issue.

Any more thoughts? So if it's a driver issue I wonder how I can solve it. I am a little worried that the hardware itself is screwed up though, but I doubt that's the case. Could it be that the hardware itself is not compatible with my system?

Make sure the drivers are not from Microosft directly or that could be the source of the problem right there.
ATI Radeon

I'm pretty sure I'm using ATI's drivers.

Also, it crashed a fourth time this morning, again whilst playing Halo 2 (couldn't even start a game this time.) I was, however, able to discern what the error message in the BSOD was this time...I think it was something like DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. That problem has been known to be caused by viruses and/or spyware, but I am pretty confident my 2 week-old computer has not gotten any viruses yet, especially since I have both AVG 2011 and MalwareBytes installed on it. So what is the problem, I wonder?

And it's okay if you guys don't know, I'm getting my fried over here ASAP...he's a computer genius, but I wanted to solve the issue myself since I don't know when he can come over. I need this machine in order to run Blender for my 3D modeling class, but what with all these random crashes and blue screens I'm deathly afraid of data loss, and to make matters even crappier my final project is due soon and I don't want my fear of data loss or my computer's frequent crashes to get in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom