Building Gaming Computer and Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoop7

Solid State Member
Hello! I'm going to be building my first computer within the next few weeks and I would love to have your help. As the title says, the computer is being built primarily for gaming and I would like to keep the price under $2000 (this includes OS and monitor).

Here is what I've come up with:

Newegg.com - EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Newegg.com - EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers

Some of the parts were bundled together. The grand total comes to $1919.19. Then there are $40 in mail-in rebates. I am open to any suggestions. Do know that I am quite partial to EVGA. I've been very happy with their products and support and would like to give them my business so I would prefer an EVGA video card and motherboard. However, I will still keep myself open if anyone has a compelling argument.

My primary concern with this build is the graphics card. I realize that it's extremely new and I just don't know if I would be better off buying an older, cheaper card. My plan was to buy a second GTX 580 in the future if the power of one just wasn't cutting it anymore. What are your thoughts on this issue? Also, would my 1000W power supply be sufficient? I will probably end up adding an SSD at a later date as well. Finally, I don't have plans to do any overclocking.

Please let me know what you think. Your advice and recommendations are much appreciated.

Finally, I don't have plans to do any overclocking.

poppycock! we will shun you if you don't OC that rig... jk :p

seriously though, why would you not want to OC? you still have some headroom in your budget for a nice cooler. if you think you're unsure of how to go about doing it, this guide will help you out http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/, and you can always just start a thread about it.

as far as your parts list goes, everything looks good to go. if you can afford a gtx 580, i'd say go for it, it wouldn't be a bad purchase by any means. and yes, that psu should handle a second card.

seriously though, why would you not want to OC? you still have some headroom in your budget for a nice cooler. if you think you're unsure of how to go about doing it, this guide will help you out http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/, and you can always just start a thread about it.

To be honest, I was just thinking that I would prefer longer lasting parts over a slight performance upgrade and parts that may kick the bucket a little earlier. I don't have any experience overclocking so let me know if I'm off the mark with that statement. If someone can convince me that the increase in performance will be that significant, then I may consider it. Thank you for your response Muffin Man!

In regard to purchasing these items from Newegg, how can I go about getting the best deal? I don't have a very good idea of how Newegg does their black Friday sales. I've noticed that they've had daily deals on each day in November. Is my best bet just to check their sales each day and hope one of my parts or something similar goes on sale and buy them over time? I would like to have all of the parts purchased by the end of the month.

I guess the question I most want answered is: does Newegg tend to have any broad sales on black Friday? And by broad I mean like the 10% off sale they had on a large number of video cards a few days ago. If not, there's probably not a good chance I will be able to take advantage of many of the deals now since I already have a shopping cart picked out. Thanks again for any help you guys can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom