upgrading to a solid state drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrendyr

Baseband Member
i am thinking of upgrading to an SSD. Would i see a crazy difference? i love to upgrade as i am able, but SSDs are pretty spendy and i want to see if it would be worth it. i like to game, so would i be able to store my games on my second hard drive or would it need to be on the SSD?

***SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
***ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
***Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
***CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
***G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model F3-15000CL9D-4GBRH......8 GB total
***2 x XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity (in crossfire)

With my little Corsair F60 (It's a 60GB), I've got Windows 7, Steam, Chrome(Cache to HDD) Power ISO, several other programs, with TrackMania, L4D2, and Fallout NV installed on it, and I've still got 25.3GB left. There are some programs I've got that could just be installed on a HDD though. I got my F60 on sale for $130 at a local electronics store. After owning it for just a few days, I'd say it's worth making the jump to. Boot up/shut down of Windows is faster, applications pop up in a snap, like Steam, which on my WD Black took a bit longer. And you can always install other games or programs that you don't mind opening up a bit slower on a HDD.

If you're happy with the other components of your computer, it's worth picking up.

it seems like the only upgrades i will be looking at for a while will be the SSD and possibly a better CPU fan. Start up/shut down times improving sounds good, but i'm impartial to those things really..... i built the machine for gaming, so i guess the real question would be: will the games run faster/better?

The games will start faster and you'll notice an improvement for in game load times. TrackMania (I know, not exactly a new system punisher) loads ridiculously faster. From double clicking on it in Steam to loading a map, I can see an improvement.

i guess my last post didn't go through.

I am thinking about getting this:
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series FM-25S2S-120GBSR 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

to go into my motherboard:
ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

wondering if i will run into compatibility issues

a few questions.....sorry to be a pain
1. Would you say the OCZ would be better?

2. i have 3 sata HDDs installed already on this pc. these should get along with the SSD, right?

3. sata 2 vs sata 3----would the difference between the two be worth holding out for a sata 3?

I can't answer #1
2. Yes, so long as you mobo and PSU have enough SATA connectors.
3. SATA 3 SSDs are already out there- not too much of a perf increase given the double data transfer rate, but 100 MBPS increase isn't too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom