Overclocking Extreme Edition... Multiplier or BCLOCK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a weird situation with my (as of now, mild) overclocking. I've upped the BCLK to 145 (so far, I haven't had to change any other non-overvolt settings in the BIOS, as everything has stayed within specs, since my memory is capable of hitting 2000, and is only at 1450 now) and, while running LinX as a stress test, have needed to overvolt for the first time to increase stability. I'm shooting for being able to run LinX for 20 minutes, and I've come close, but issues have crept up. Here is the chronological history of the 145 BCLK; I'm trying to do things according to Slaymate's i7 guide:

1. LinX stops with errors in 5 seconds. Bumped up VCore.
2. LinX stops with errors in approximately 4 minutes. Bumped up QPI PLL.
3. LinX stops with errors in approximately 6 minutes. Bumped up QPI PLL.
4. LinX stops with errors in 19 minutes 29 seconds. Bumped up QPI/VTT.
5. LinX stops with errors in 3 minutes 37 seconds???

When I say I "bumped up" a setting, I basically mean that I moved it one "notch" in the BIOS; in other words, I'm not typing in exact values, but choosing the next highest value that the BIOS will accept. All of the temperatures on these tests are in the safe zone (i.e., not even close to 70 degrees), so it's not overheating that's causing this. No lock-ups, no BSOD, LinX just won't reach the 20 minute mark without stopping due to errors.

I would have expected that step #4 would have resulted in either LinX passing the 20 minute test, or at least lasting a few seconds longer. I definitely didn't expect it to jump down so far. Does this mean that I should again bump up QPI PLL and see if that works, or is there some kind of weird interaction that means there is another route that I should take?

Cool, thanks! For some reason my computer made it seem like the PM didn't go through. There's now another thread on this issue... you can delete it if you think it's extraneous.

I'll fill this out when I get home.

I was looking over the list you sent me; I noticed that you asked for the BIOS version, so I checked Gigabyte's website, and there was a newer version (5 days old). Anyways, I went ahead and flashed the BIOS; I figure this might be able to make some pretty drastic changes in the system's behavior, so should I start the stress testing over, or do you think I should just pick up from where I left off? If it's the latter, I'll fill in the sheet tomorrow... not enough time tonight.

I can't help you if I don't know whats going on.

I know... maybe I wasn't clear. What I was wondering is if updating the BIOS could cause enough changes that you want to completely restart the overclocking process. In other words, is it possible that a new BIOS could result in me not having the same problem, or possibly have problems I didn't before? For example, there have been times where I have had a technical issue with a game, then I installed a new GPU driver, and the problem was gone; there have also been times that I installed the driver and a new problem occured.

Long story short, I'm really early in the overclocking process, so it's not at all a big deal for me to change everything back to stock voltages, then re-run the stability tests I've performed... it might take an hour at the most. Then, if the same problem persists despite the BIOS update, I'll fill out the form. I figure the less changes you make to the voltage, the better, so unless you think it's a waste of time, it sounds like the more prudent way of going about things.

Thanks!

Your motherboard isn't the same as mine so your default voltages could be different than mine or what I may expect them to be. Starting from scratch is probably a good idea, or you can show me the stock settings and your present settings.

Yeah, I agree starting from scratch is the best option. I'll let you know if the problems continue... thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom