About to build a new RIG. Don't know what I am doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decadence

Beta member
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum but I need some good info about building a new high-end desktop. I have built a PC before but a long time ago. I haven't really stayed up to date on high-end parts for a bare bone PC. I need a machine in which I can do a 2-monitor set-up, and the guts that will allow me to run a website, maybe even service a FTP like site, gaming to the max! and do some animation where I can produce video sequences in 1080p without dropping frames.

I checked a website of a local computer store where I live and I made a list of mainly the most expensive parts they had listed, whether if they were sold out or not.

• MSI PCI-E ATI R5870 Lightning II 1GB DDR5 Crossfire, GPU: 850MHZ, Mem C: 4800MHz, Mem Bus: 256bit, DUAL DVI, HDTV, TV-OUT, DIRECT X 11 (Video card)
• THERMALTAKE 1200W ATX+12V 99A: 140mm Fan, 6-pin x 3, 8-pin x 3, 8-SATA(power-supply)
• MS Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit - Full Version (OS)
• i7 LGA1366 Evga x58: W/ USB3.0 - 3xSLI or 3xCrossfire, 6 DDR3 Triple-Channel up to 12GB, 10 SATA, 2x1GB NIC, 8 Channel, 12xUSB, 2x1394 (CPU)
• ASUS Black 24" WIDE LCD - 5Ports: SPDIF, AUDIO-IN, VGA, DVI, HDMI, RT:5ms, CR:1000:1, Bri:300, 1920 X 1080p Full HD, 3yr Warranty (Monitor)
• Supertalent DDR3 2GB - 1600MHz - PC3-12800 (Single Module) (Memory Stick – want 3 sticks)
• Apevia Black Keyboard and Optical Mouse PS/2- Combo Kit – Retail (Keyboard and mouse)
• LGA1366 INTEL i7 965 3.20GHz, 6.4GT/Sec, Cores/Treads: 4/8, 8MB L3 Shared Cache - Retail Box - w/ CPU Fan & Intel 3yr Warranty (Required X58's Motherboards) (Mother board)
• Antec Twelve Hundred Black Case - No PS - 12 Drive Bays. - SUPER X SUPER GAMER CASE.! (Case)
• 2TB Hitachi SATA - 7200 RPM W/ 32MB Cache - 3yr Hitachi Warranty (Hard-drive)
• Creative X-Fi PCI Express Sound Blaster Titanium Sound Card (PCI Express - 24 bit) (Sound Card)

• Klipsch HDT1000 HD 5.1 Speaker System (Speakers)

Is this a pretty good idea of what I need? Are there parts that can be replaced that are on par but cheaper? Can memory be utilized past 4 gigs? From how I understand it, a 64-bit OS uses only 4 gigs however, I wonder if I had more memory then this, it will still be able to be used to help improve performance in both Video/animation production as well as gaming. Are any of these components incompatible with each other?

Anyway, consider this. I would like to eventually obtain a system that is close in performance as to what I have listed and is actually affordable.

Thanks!:big_smile:

Well that build is mediocre. What is your budget? We can certainly find you something more appropriate.

64bit OS's recognize more than 4 unlike 32bit.

It would be appreciated to receive any suggestions. If what I have listed is only mediocre, Lets say I have about a 1,500$ - 2k budget. I am aware that some items probably doesn't need to be the best of the best. However, things like the Video Card, CPU, Memory, hard-drive and sound, I would prefer top-notch performance. I do LAN from time to time with friends so I kinda want to be vain and have a flashy open-box tower with LEDs, a vanity license plate and hydrolics so my tower can get down with the Mp3's. (of course I am exaggerating for effect, hopefully it gets the point across) :big_smile:

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out with this.

I am just gonna aim for $2k. If I end up not able to afford this, I think by the time I can update the list I mentioned in my original post I'll have enough information to make last minute decisions safely. I have looked into Newegg and I couldn't figure out how to look for individual components. Just package deals. I'll spend some more time on the site looking it over more thoroughly.

Thanks!

Hey no problem, Just post pics up after you've built it. ;)

I'm happy I was able to squeeze about $200 in savings out of those parts.

oh and I didn't go with the full 2tb of disk space but there is more than enough room in the budget if you want more,
and if this will be going to LAN parties get those casters on cuz that case is a beast.

EDIT: I almost forgot... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754 you might need that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom