Graphics Card - Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweder

In Runtime
I'm getting in-game freezes that are not internet related, in another thread I ruled out other possible causes (like PSU, memory, driver, temps etc.), but when it came down to figuring out if the graphics card was the issue, the thread became pretty much abandoned.

I have a pretty adequate gaming system and my graphics card is a single GTX 480, and on 1920x1080 resolution, it occasionally freezes in-game. I'm not sure if this is normal or I have a defective card but I'd like to have someone clarify whether this is or isn't normal. The worst freezes it will do will last about 3 seconds and will be at least 5 minutes apart. It doesn't always freeze; some days it won't freeze at all; some days it will freeze once, and some days it will freeze a couple of times.

I video taped one of the freezes in case it will help identify if it is normal or if it is caused by a defective card:
YouTube - COD Freezes

My setup is:
ASUS Rampage Extreme iii
Intel i7 930
Corsair Dominator 3x2GB 1600 DDR3
ASUS ENGTX480 1536MB
Seasonic 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU

Please let me know if this seems normal to you or if it you think I might have a defective card.

Thanks in advance

-Derek

Uhh, that soo looks like lag from the server you are playing on. Whats your ping? Does it happen in single player too? Does it happen with other games too?

That was in modern warfare 2 where there aren't any servers, it just picks random hosts. When the host lags, your character will keep running, but he will stay in the same position, and other things will keep moving, like the particles that are falling to simulate a war going on will keep falling, and a picture of a cable being unplugged will pop up, but when one of these freezes happen, the picture just freezes like a screenshot.

It does happen in single player as well, and in multiplayer when I'm chosen as host, and in other games too.

I assume your using the latest drivers? And monitor the temps of your card while your playing and let us know how hot it gets.

I assume your using the latest drivers? And monitor the temps of your card while your playing and let us know how hot it gets.
Yes, I'm using the latest drivers and I've tried older ones as well. I've monitored the temps several times and the card usually doesn't go above 80C. I've been down the troubleshooting road a few times, I have no spyware or software problems or anything causing CPU usage to spike, the CPU doesn't usually go over 35C.

I have neither another card nor onboard graphics, I talked with ASUS and they think it might be a defective card. They gave me an RMA and I guess I'll see if a new card works better or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom