Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would beef up the graphics a little. The 450 is a decent card, but underpowered. My cousin's husband is running a 4850 and gets great frames on an original Phenom quad, so going with a 5770 or better, or a 460, would set you up sweet.

Don't shop blind on cards, though. Check reviews and warranties before you decide on one. EVGA is only doing a two year warranty on most of their new cards.

Oh, and redfish is right... look for combos where you can.

I wouldnt have said something but this bothered me. You say the guy runs a 4850 and a Phenom 1 with decent frames but then say a 450 with an i5 is under powered? Thats a tad backwards. Though to tack on with the new addition to WoW a 450 will not play it fully maxed out if my friend is correct. Depends on res though. As i always say WoW can be played on almost anything and only your wallet will let you truly know what you want to buy.

whats the benefit of an ssd. i read a little on what it is but not sure how it would perform better then the standard hard drive or does it go in like a second hard drive?

A SSD shows incredible performance over a HDD. While the top-notch 10,000 RPM HDD might get you 15 second or more boot times, a SSD would probably put you more in the 5 second range. The performance difference is astronomical. The write speed is also incredibly blazingly fast.
In other words, yes, it performs much better than a HDD.

so how would i use it. in conjunction with a standard HDD or would i replace it the HDD with the SSD. Would an SSD hold my operating system just like the HDD does?

ok just realized thats a stupid question. cause of the size of the SSD but i asssume i would use it in conjunction and install my main programms i use on it so i can get better performance such as WOW??

Depends on the size of SSD and how much writing is going on. The only problem with SSD is that frequent data writing can cause the drive to "burn out", so while the operating system may work fine as it's pretty much a one-time install other data that's constantly being changed should NOT be on the SSD. This also means that paging files should be disabled on the SS drive. Is there's some way to put the game on the SSD and change the location of save files to the HDD? I don't game so I don't know.

+1 Go for a combo and get the 5770 ,can't go wrong, but I would find a motherboad in that sma eprice range with 2 PCI-E slots in case he ever wants to upgrade his graphics all he'd need to do is slap in another 5770.

Seriously, why waste the money on a 30Gig SSD. It'll just hold Windows and some games.

Why not ditch the 30Gig and just wait till more moneys avaliable and get a bigger one which will last longer.

Not everyone is so impatient that they can't wait a minute and a half for windows to boot.

To me it just seems like a waste to spend the money on such a small drive, and not gain enough benifits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom