Memory Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
I have a computer that I assembled using an AMD Athlon X2 64 5600+ processor. It has 512 MB of ram. If I was to upgrade to a gig of ram, what exactly would I see in performance increase? Where does the upgrade of ram show up? Thanks.

TG

Programs opening faster, less lag from the operating system overall. Games will also run much smoother as the OS is not having to offload stuff tot he hard drive as much. Memory speeds and single/dual channel can also impact these.

2GB was the sweet spot for gaming in XP. 4GB is the sweet spot for gaming in Win7 64-bit.

Programs opening faster, less lag from the operating system overall. Games will also run much smoother as the OS is not having to offload stuff tot he hard drive as much. Memory speeds and single/dual channel can also impact these.

2GB was the sweet spot for gaming in XP. 4GB is the sweet spot for gaming in Win7 64-bit.

So, upping from 4GB to 8GB on a W7 machine won't help it perform any better?

TG

Exactly, MoM.

However, moving from one speed to another can give a boost. If the current RAm is less than what the board can utilize, upgrading to the maximum speed of RAM can add some extra zip. like moving from DDR2 800 to DDR2 1066 or DDR2 1200. Whatever the board can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom