Random virus popups when viewing TF????

Sorry if it seems that my posts came off as upset or anything. I fully did not intend them to be that way. I have sent a PM to Harper already right after my first response.

It just seems odd to me that AVG would do such things over text on a screen. It seems as if it either AVG or Firefox took the text and make it into a file in your cache. Which is odd, cause i viewed that same page in Firefox and it didnt happen to me. So the next question would be what Extensions do you have active? Do you have a extension that can take normal text and turn it into a link? That could be what is happening. It is taking this link and making it active, caching it as a download link or other link and that is setting off AVG. The combination of the 2 could be what is causing this issue.

I do have a lot of extensions, they are Skype, AdBlock Plus, Downthemall!, and cacheviewer, now that I think about it, cacheviewer may be causing it, as it lets me view the cachefiles in FF in order to grab links that are otherwise hidden.

BUT, here is the catch, trying to copy the file with out FF open, also sets AVG off, and it just shows a system process, so it has to be the way the file was created, or the way AVG scans, I will set up a VM and do some more tests, this thread may be locked if you wish, since the issue is at least resolved.

I only created the topic as I had the issue before due to some code in a previous forums setup that would trigger it.

That could be it. To test try disabling just that extension and from there view the threads. If you get the pop up still than it could already be in your cache so you may want to empty your cache first to test. But if you dont then you know that it is a issue due to the extension basically making this a bat file which is throwing AVG into this fit.

Finding this a little strange as I don't have any thing out of the ordinary on my sig. I am also running AVG and I have not noticed any thing.

I wonder if AVG is upset with my Format C : / AUTO TEST / U comment. *

Anyways, I have removed the offending comment. Lets see if that changes any thing.
If it does, I am writing a letter to AVG.....

Dear Jan Gritzbach & Tomáš Hofer,
Could you please have a sense of humor.
Thank you

Signed
Harper

* BTW Ppl, do not put play around with that dos command as I will unconditionally erase your data on your C Drive and not offer you any warning.

Interesting, it DID stop, dunno why it's doing that, I know at one time I changed the resident shield settings to include files with out extensions (which these cache files have no extensions) and I set it to use Heuristics on the resident shield scan. I still get the warning in this thread, but that's because I quoted it in this one, none of the others harper has posted in before is throwing it off now :3

Though, it shouldn't be doing this, I feel as if it's due to the heuristics scanning, and the way it trys to scan unknown file types.

I have also sent the cache files associated with this thread, and this threads link address, and how my scanner is setup, hopefully, AVG responds back and fixes the annoying thing, as that heuristics has caught some rather nasty stuff before for me.

Wow. And all this time I though that a TF's Swearbot was too strict, I now have AVG anti virus to take that place.

J

Back
Top Bottom