FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

OK, one out, one home run.

On my computer downstairs, a EeeBox EB1006, connected to my 38" TV via HDMI, also has Ubuntu on it, 10.10. I didn't ever put Samba on there, so I did, from the Software Center. Made a share in Samba, my Download folder. I go upstairs to this 7 computer. HOLY MARY! I can see this thing plain and simply in Networks. I go into it and open the folder. Wow... So this is how it is supposed to go.

Tried on my netbook. Copied the same settings, no dice. Unless anyone has a better idea, I think I'll just dump this, and reinstall Ubuntu. I've probably done something wrong with the config files... I don't have anything on there worth saving. I can get Compiz and stuff again.

When you say you installed "Samba" from software center, what exactly did you install? Reason I ask is because "Samba" in the software center is actually for the system-config-samba GUI tool to manage your Samba shares. Samba the actual server package is SMB/CIFS server for Unix. So make sure you're grabbing the proper package.

Me personally... I install Samba and "Samba" on every Ubuntu PC I touch. I put "Samba" in quotes because that's the GUI tool, which shows up in System - Applications - Samba. The first one is the server package itself.

Can you verify you indeed have the server package installed? I wouldn't go as far as reinstalling. This isn't... ehh, you get my drift. :p

I believe I just installed Samba, the GUI version. I think I installed SAMBA in synaptics as well. I can't be sure, though when I looked in synaptics, it was installed.

I swear I have the exact same setings as my EeeBOX. One shows up, the other does not.

Is your workgroup 'workgroup' or 'WORKGROUP'? It matters on a mac (well, older macs), not sure about ubuntu. Both unix based though, so worth a shot.

My Windows workgroup is "WORKGROUP" In Ubuntu it is "workgroup". But when I go into server settings in Samba, it posts it as "workgroup", even if I change it to caps.

Edit: Now that I'm looking around, why do I have 2 Samba accounts? same name, same password (number of characters)??

My Windows workgroup is "WORKGROUP" In Ubuntu it is "workgroup". But when I go into server settings in Samba, it posts it as "workgroup", even if I change it to caps.

Edit: Now that I'm looking around, why do I have 2 Samba accounts? same name, same password (number of characters)??

Alright bro. Let's back up a bit here to make sure you even have the proper stuff installed, because there's some differences between Software Center and Synaptic. I'm also noticing there being some differences between the 10.04 software center and 10.10, because I run 10.04 on my work laptop (where I posted from earlier) and now on 10.10, the ACTUAL Samba package isn't even in Software Center.

SO...

Let's go to our friend Synaptic. Do you have "Samba" and "system-config-samba" installed? You can install them via terminal with:

sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba

Don't worry about caps in the workgroup thing. Mine is lowercase, works absolutely fine.

Here's an example of my share section of my smb.conf. As you can see, it's nearly identical to your [Ubuntu Share] with the exception of your own path and comment:

[jason]
path = /home/jason
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
valid users = jason

I'm REALLY curious to verify exactly what you have installed. BTW - is this Ubuntu 10.10?

Both "Samba" and "system-config-samba" are installed. Both are checked in Synaptic.

I am using 10.10 (updated from 10.4) on my EeeBOX, that works. I am using 10.10 on my netbook. For some odd reason, the 10.10 upgrade from 10.4didn't want to work...

I can see my netbook fine with VNC and FTP, but it is just not showing in the Network.

Code:
Server requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled
failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Server requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled
failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

That's what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom