Acer Aspire 8730G Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mech86

Beta member
Hello all, I can't seem to get a direct answer wherever I look or ask. So I'll try to make this as informative as possible.

My Acer laptop has been having a power problem, first signs were my laptop's screen kept flickering on and off between plugged in mode (full brightness) and battery mode (low dimmed brightness) which indicates that I have unplugged the charger from the laptop. A simple wiggling of the plug in certain positions fixed the problem temporarily, but it became harder over time.

Before it completely stopped functioning, the power jack had gotten extrordinarily hot, and eventually melted the plastic casing around the plug itself, which led to the wires coming off their solder. At this point the power jack was black and burnt, so I assumed the power jack had run it's course and burnt out. (pic below)
burntnonburntresized.jpg

Left is my old, Right is the new.

As the plug itself had melted off the solder and no longer usable, I went into an electrical workshop and got the tech guy there to grab a plug that matched my original, which he found and re-wired to my charger's cord. I plugged it in to my old power jack and it did the exact same thing (screen flickering on and off). And within 30 or so minutes, melted half of the plastic around the new charger plug.

By this point, the battery had less than 2 percent left on it's charge and eventually switched itself off. And whenever I tried to power it on from then on, all I got were 4 blinking orange lights. Normally it's solid orange to indicate charging and green for fully charged.

I gave up and ordered another power jack with the wire which just arrived this morning. Now, strangely enough it doesnt seem that my power jack required a solder to the motherboard, it just seemed to be wedged in a metal harness. (pic below)
powerjackharnessresized.jpg

and
powerjackcableresized.jpg

My question is, is that normal on some laptops? or, has something snapped off/fallen off that I'm missing?

Anyway, with the new power jack in place and everything plugged in, I still don't get an orange light to indicate charging. Now this new plug on my charger worked with my old one, but that power jack just got too hot and started melting things so I removed it before it melted the wires off the solder on this new plug as well.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing the problem?

The obvious answers would be either the battery or the charger itself, since the problem now doesn't seem to be the power jack. My suspicion is the charger since it got really hot, which could be a voltage issue and has nothing to do with the battery, or a more serious problem like a motherboard issue. The pins on the motherboard for the power jack cable are all straight and clean, but I just want to know if there may be a simple thing I may be missing (like a missing peice on the harness for the power jack for instance).

All help is appreciated

Thanks in advance (sorry if post was a little long!)

I'd say the issue is likely to be either the charger or an internal short in the laptop, ramping up the current until it does the damage you see.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Come to think of it, about 2 weeks ago there was a huge unexpected thunder/lightning strike which turned off all power in our neighbourhood for 20 minutes, I was on my laptop at that time and it froze. Most likely that could have something to do with the change in voltage/internal short?

Also, forgot to add what I've tried so far:

- Removing the battery and powering it with just the charger - unsuccessful (not even blinking orange lights which i'm certain is a battery indication anyway)

- Holding down the power button for 60secs then trying again with charger/charger and battery - unsuccessful

- Bashing my head against my desk out of frustration - great success.

Hold it down for 60 seconds? That's a new one. Could have shorted someplace on the motherboard as Nitestick suggested.

Sorry about posting this thread, I found the problem and it's quite embarrassing haha.

I stripped the new power cord's wire a bit further down to double check that the old power jack didn't melt either of the wires, and found that the positive wire had indeed been melted off it's solder. After manually joining the two ends with the new power jack to test that it was the problem, a solid orange light came up and the laptop powered as per normal. Sorry if you had read the whole thread before reading this lol :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom